MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, (rover 214 16v 1998 R)

a while ago i reported the smell of petrol. Moat noticable when the fuel is quite low.

I can smell it in the car most of the time, but today i could smell it ouside. There are no leaks from the tank or such like
So, i decided to remove the fuel filler neck.

The breather isnt block but what i did do was back flush the neck with the hose pipe to see if anything was leaking. Whilst covering the breather, and with the fuel cap on, locked, water was seaping from the cap. Is this wrong? Granted its supposed to be a seal, but fuel doesnt really travel upwards like i was doing with the water.

If so, how do i go about replacing the seal? do they sell these seperatly or is it a new petrol cap? what about the key though, i dont like the idea of two keys.
Things checked/replaced:

Fuel tank jubilee clips
pipe lines
cannister, no smell of fuel
tube from canister in cross beam properly
no petrol cans in the car
Locking cap on properly
fuel filter and unions checked (filter renewd)

Any ideas?? im stumped plus annoyed.
Many thanks

Ben.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
can you smell fuel in the engine bay or just in the car??

worth temoving the rear seats abd checking the seals on the inspection holes on top of th tank

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
nebburns said:
Hi all, (rover 214 16v 1998 R)

a while ago i reported the smell of petrol. Moat noticable when the fuel is quite low.

I can smell it in the car most of the time, but today i could smell it ouside. There are no leaks from the tank or such like
So, i decided to remove the fuel filler neck.

The breather isnt block but what i did do was back flush the neck with the hose pipe to see if anything was leaking. Whilst covering the breather, and with the fuel cap on, locked, water was seaping from the cap. Is this wrong? Granted its supposed to be a seal, but fuel doesnt really travel upwards like i was doing with the water.

If so, how do i go about replacing the seal? do they sell these seperatly or is it a new petrol cap? what about the key though, i dont like the idea of two keys.
Things checked/replaced:

Fuel tank jubilee clips
pipe lines
cannister, no smell of fuel
tube from canister in cross beam properly
no petrol cans in the car
Locking cap on properly
fuel filter and unions checked (filter renewd)

Any ideas?? im stumped plus annoyed.
Many thanks

Ben.
Check the pipe that runs between the fuel filler cap and the fuel tank, could well be a hole in there.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for your replies.

At the moment you can smell petrol in the car, but also outside. There are no leaks though, i have never been able to smell fuel under the bonnet no matter if its running, stopped or cooling down.

At the moment, i havent any backend in the car, i have been driving around with it stripped. There seems to be no plate like normal cars over the tank situated under the rear seats.

Also, i have made sure that the filler pipe is is good conditon, and the jubilee clips, but i did report that the water was able to seep pass the seal. (please see 1st post)

I appreciate your help

Thank you

Ben.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.