MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pesky Leak... Car Cover?

Recently, well, in the past couple of days since it's been hammering it down with rain, my TF has developed water leaks from the top of the passenger window at the corner where the roof meets the windscreen.

This is the first tim it's done this and I think it's as a result of the two roof catches being changed a couple of weeks back for chromed ones.

Before I get Krisf moaning about me not using the search feature, I have so nurr :p, and I've found a lot of threads about the cheaters/seals needing to be replaced, but this doesn't necessarily seem like a solution *yet* as it feels like throwing money at the problem.

I spent last night at midnight outside with a torch, adjusting and readjusting the damn tensioners in the catches to try and make a firm seal on the windows. Got a good seal on one side, only to find the other side leaking! Spent about an hour trying to get the damn thing balanced enough to make a seal. Luckily it decided not to rain for the rest of the night.

I still have tiny tiny holes in the top corners (I'll take photos after work today to illustrate) where the two seals meet. I'm hoping that these are neither large enough nor in a prone placement anymore to let water in.

However, I'm concerned about the amount of pressure needed from the clasps. Can you apply too much? Is there a knack to this that people have discovered?

Failing any sensible suggestions/solutions, I might just have to buy either the MS roof cover as a temporary measure, or attempt to get the seals fixed on the warrenty I have (yeah, fat chance i hear you say) or even worse case, pay for them myself :(

I'm annoyed about this because this is the first time I've found the car leaking at these points. Like I said, I can only assume its as a result of the new catches not being set up properly :(

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I have been playing with my window seals for a while now and have more or less sorted them. I did have the leak that you have and I had one where the roof folds and the seal seperates, about where your shoulder is, on the drivers side. This gave me plenty of wet shoulders/back.

I have set up my windows for the best seal that I can by adjusting the 2 10mm end stop nuts behind the door card at the top of the door. This was more trial and error really.

What I did find though is that everytime I take the roof down and put it back up the seals do not lie properly where they join. It is worth checking the joints everytime you put the roof back up and manipulate them a bit so they line up better. By doing this I have stopped most of the leaks.

The shoulder level one has a male and female side that should slot into each other, and it doesn't 9 times out of 10. This was the main cause of my leak.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
We just had a tropical storm last night and the inside of the car is still bone dry. Worth taking a few hours out to play.

And it is definitely worth maniputaing the seal joints once the roof is up. Or at least checking them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've managed to get only the tiniest of holes visible there now, I'm pretty sure thats all that there ever was. I don't remember there ever being a complete seal there.

I shall need to get out later with a bucket of water to test :D

I hate problems like this, no defacto fix and can spring up at any time. One of the joys of owning an MG it seems...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pesky Leak... Car Cover?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a cover for the TF to avoid the stress of these pesky leaks. I'm looking at the Mike Satur stuff right now, either the SUNMATE or the HOOD STORM COVER.

I'd prefer the Storm cover as it's a little more inconspicuous on the car, but the Sunmate would be better for all year situations, and more importantly is available in their ebay shop :D

Anyone have one of these they can share their experiences of?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.