MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compression testing a Rover 216Si Bubble
Is a compression test a good way of testing for a head gasket failure in process ?

Can someone tell me how easy it is to perform a compression test. (Instructions would be helpful if you can spare the time) I would also like to know what special tools I will need.

From what I understand I will need a compression tester/guage, will any guage do or I need a specific fitment/size?
Also will I need a spark plug removal tool? If yes, any particular size?

Ive found this guage on ebay, will it do the job ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOMOTIVE-CO...ryZ30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Finally what is the correct pressure for the cylinders.

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please bare in mind the below mentioned are for a k16 engine, i have a 416i 1995.

You will need a 10mm Spark Plug Socket (This is not a standard socket size), to remove plugs.

Attach the compression testing gauge to the spark plug hole, ensure the tester comes complete with a 10mm attachment (usually these are the standard size attachments for petrol compression testers).

Easy as that really, and when u do test the compression crank engine for 10 secs, and then make a note of the reading on a piece of paper, release pressure from gauge and then test the 2nd then 3rd and then 4th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts