MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY MGZR HAS JUST TURNED 2000 MILES AFTER 1 MONTH OF DRIVING ITS IN THE GARAGE TODAY GETTING A FEW NIGGLES FIXED AND I HAVE A PREG 214SI AS A CURTESY CAR THE ACCELERATION ON THIS CAR IS AMAZING COMPARED TO MINE IS THIS JUST BECAUSE IT HAS COVER 45000 MILES OR COULD IT BE IT ONLY RUNS ON 14" RIMS THEREFORE NOT AS HIGH GEARED AS MY WITH ITS 17" RIMS P.S. FUEL CONSUMPTION ISNT GETTING ANY BETTER.

· Premium Member
31,534 Posts
Hi, the K-Series can take a few thousand miles before it really loosens up, I briefly had a 1.4 Rover 200 after a 200 Diesel, I took it back and got a Diesel version instead, it was just so lacking in comparasion. However, I didn't know then what I know now about Engines and loosening up.

Basically, the first stage tends to kick in around 1,500 miles and then it graduly improves with the mileage. But yeah, if you compare one that has done 45,000 and your month old example, yours will seem slower because it basically hasn't run-in yet.

I'm not saying they take 10,000 miles to run in!, just that they take a little while to loosen up. Bear with it and you'll find it will loosen up in good time.

btw, which ZR did you have?

· Registered
145 Posts
I'd agree.. My wife has a new Rover 25 1.4 Impression...

When she first got the car, I was disappointed to say the least with the performance( it had 8 miles on the clock when we picked it up!)..

However, after the running in period was over, I drove it again, and immediately noticed a performance improvement. It's now done a bit over 1000 miles, and again, I noticed a performance improvement.. If it keeps improving like it has, my ZT will have trouble keeping up soon!! :D :D :D :D

· Registered
20,868 Posts
Re: Re: Re: performance

I have a R25 1.4 for close to a year. Initially, I stuck rigidly to the 1000 mile 3000rpm restriction and eased it in gradually thereafter.

Performance just keeps getting better and better 'til c.6,000 miles. Biggest difference I noticed was acceleration through the gears and a noticeable decline in engine noise. Close to 15,000 miles on the clock now and the engine can only be described as sweet!

One suggestion passed on to me was to change the oil after c.5,000 miles from new. Gut feeling is that 15,000 miles from purchase is simply too long for an oil change.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.