MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya, my mates just brought a 1.4 mg zr. 2004 reg mk2.
i dont no much about the engines in these but he wants to spend quite abit on it.

could someone make a list up of the best modifications please, and would you do first ect.

whats capable out of this engine? 105 bhp standard... whats the highest bhp any one on this forum has acheived from the 1.4?

cheers lads

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think for serious modification and BHP gains most people on here will tell you to swap the engine for a 1.6 or a 1.8. The 1.6 and 1.8 tune much better then the 1.4's. Most modifications will not give you hardly any power!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
told ya so :p

for the amount of money you need to put into to get a good chunk of power out of it, you may aswell of bought a 1.8 and done mods to that! Costly.

·
Registered
782 Posts
try AAautosport.com

they are currently making a rally ZR with a 1.4, they are aiming for 150bhp but this might not be road legal.

he could change to a 1.8, he would either need a complete engine (with or w/o gear box, but pg1 that comes with the 1.8 gearbox is stronger). if he doesnt want to change the engine then he can get the crank, conrods, pistons, liners and ecu off a 1.8, i think its alot easier and cheaper going for a complete 1.8 engine.

you could then fit a vvc head to it aswell but getting an aftermarket ECU like Emerald would allow higher gains once all mods are on.

300+ bhp has been seen from the K-series engine but i'm not sure who , someone will probably tell you later. There is also 257bhp BRM which has a super charger and it is RAPID!!!!!!!

and finally you could go for a 2.0l turbo T-series engine which has 200bhp out the box but is heavier and impairs the handling.

expect to spend ££££ on tuning the K that is in his engine if he doesnt want to change the displacement though.

EDIT ---------------

257bhp BRM (same engine but a 1.8vvc) with supercharger and various other mods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfqhTslrWk

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
try AAautosport.com

they are currently making a rally ZR with a 1.4, they are aiming for 150bhp but this might not be road legal.

he could change to a 1.8, he would either need a complete engine (with or w/o gear box, but pg1 that comes with the 1.8 gearbox is stronger). if he doesnt want to change the engine then he can get the crank, conrods, pistons, liners and ecu off a 1.8, i think its alot easier and cheaper going for a complete 1.8 engine.

you could then fit a vvc head to it aswell but getting an aftermarket ECU like Emerald would allow higher gains once all mods are on.

300+ bhp has been seen from the K-series engine but i'm not sure who , someone will probably tell you later. There is also 257bhp BRM which has a super charger and it is RAPID!!!!!!!

and finally you could go for a 2.0l turbo T-series engine which has 200bhp out the box but is heavier and impairs the handling.

expect to spend ££££ on tuning the K that is in his engine if he doesnt want to change the displacement though.

EDIT ---------------

257bhp BRM (same engine but a 1.8vvc) with supercharger and various other mods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfqhTslrWk
Damn that is rapid.. would love to see that on the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know of a 140's kit for the 1.4. I think it actually changes the engine to a 1.8 lol but I've seen vids. If he wants more power, cold air induction kit (that doesnt suck warm air from engine bay) and free flow exhausts always help. No matter what anybody says about them taking power away!

A large exhaust will reduce low end power, but up in the revs it gives more

·
Registered
rover_25
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, he's never going to change the engine. i dont think anyone would buy a 54 plate mg zr for 3900 pound with 33 thousand on the clok and then change its engine. he just wants abit more power out of it. so whats the best: exhaust, air filter ect for the car. ive herd things about them power boost valves?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Get a direct air intake system, like the Viper one for sale on this site.
Get a nice full exhaust system,

and do some lightweighting.
Remove the tools and spare wheel, replace it for that foam tyre filler stuff instead.
Change the seats for lighter racing seats etc.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
no, he's never going to change the engine. i dont think anyone would buy a 54 plate mg zr for 3900 pound with 33 thousand on the clok and then change its engine. he just wants abit more power out of it. so whats the best: exhaust, air filter ect for the car. ive herd things about them power boost valves?
I wouldn't pay that much for placebo, mine's free!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think for serious modification and BHP gains most people on here will tell you to swap the engine for a 1.6 or a 1.8. The 1.6 and 1.8 tune much better then the 1.4's. Most modifications will not give you hardly any power!
There is no 1.6 if you accurately knew the car

·
Registered
2 Posts
hiya, my mates just brought a 1.4 mg zr. 2004 reg mk2.
i dont no much about the engines in these but he wants to spend quite abit on it.

could someone make a list up of the best modifications please, and would you do first ect.

whats capable out of this engine? 105 bhp standard... whats the highest bhp any one on this forum has acheived from the 1.4?

cheers lads
You should just get the stages it the best you can do

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
This subject comes up so often in different forms.
The obvious answer is to buy a 160vvc, which can be bought at very reasonable cost.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,188 Posts
There is no 1.6 if you accurately knew the car
...and if you accurately knew the car, you would realise that whilst there was never a 1.6 fitted as standard to a ZR, there was a 1.6 version of the Rover K series which was fitted to the 25, 45 and ZS - direct fit to a ZR.

I would love to know a valid reason for resurrecting a nearly 11 year old thread to post such rubbish?

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Ooh look what I found, a 1.6k !!!!

The guy isn't wrong, they didn't do a 1.6k ZR, yeah they did in the other 200's and 25's and it is a great little lump to play with, Wallsy has a 1.6 with 135 cams out of a 1.8, a remap plus a few other bolt ons, if memory serves he was getting a stout 140 BHP from it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm dumb.
I accurately knew the car... 11 years ago.

The 1.6 k series engine was available from many other models and a direct fit.

Sounds like you're struggling for gains in your little 1.4 ?. Come back when you have more accurate knowledge about these vehicles.

Take care now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts