MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So actually i have a honda concerto. The European version, which has the MacPherson front struts. The front suspension is very similar, if not identical to the rover 200. And I'm planning of fixing the car up, and maybe hitting some autocross with it. As always trying to do it on a budget.
I did get some lowering springs, but didn't have much luck with those. The car is still quite soft and the reaction time to the steering wheel sucks. I did find a set if coilovers on eBay, but the shipping from Britain to where i live is going to be near impossible. So If any of you guys raced the rover 200, and have any advice. Maybe there are some performance oriented rovers, where the front shocks/springs will fit. For rear i did find some koni shocks of an integra and a sway bar .

·
Registered
rover_25
348 Posts
So actually i have a honda concerto. The European version, which has the MacPherson front struts. The front suspension is very similar, if not identical to the rover 200. And I'm planning of fixing the car up, and maybe hitting some autocross with it. As always trying to do it on a budget.
I did get some lowering springs, but didn't have much luck with those. The car is still quite soft and the reaction time to the steering wheel sucks. I did find a set if coilovers on eBay, but the shipping from Britain to where i live is going to be near impossible. So If any of you guys raced the rover 200, and have any advice. Maybe there are some performance oriented rovers, where the front shocks/springs will fit. For rear i did find some koni shocks of an integra and a sway bar .
you could try rover 200 brm shocks, failing that you'll need some coilovers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure thing, thanks, will see what i can find on the brm . But i can get away with some machining. As long as the shock is similar size, and the rod that mounts to the strut tower and the lower cup are the same diameter.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Suspension is the same on the front as on the later 200 and MG ZR, rear is the same as the the MG ZS so fitting MG ZR front suspension and MG ZS rear is your best and cheapest option or though won't lower the car by massive amounts. As for the steering you're a bit stuck there, the best mods you can do is fit there MG ZR front subframe and steering rack but to do this you need to cut and modify the floor etc where the steering rack passed into the car and the subframe won't work with the Honda engine so there's not really any options there I'm affaid. On my trackday R8 ive fitted the ZR Steering system, brake reaction arms, front rollbar, ZS 180 rear suspension and roll bar, AVO R2 coilovers with solid adjustable top mounts, replaced the suspension bushes with bearings and I'm yet to find a FWD that can out match in through corners on track but obviously it's cost a hell of a lot of money and a lot of time

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Kinda sad i guess. Not much rover parts i can find around. And even if i sell this car, I won't be able to find a fun car for the money i get.
Hardly anything around for them now, I race a 216 GTi and trying to get engines parts is almost impossible, I've got 5 engines and could only make 2 serviceable units out of the lot. Going back to steering there was never any quicker steering rack available, even the factory Dunlop race cars used the normal steering rack but with stocks and springs developed by ac delco and Tony pond racing for RoverSport. You do have power steering on yours don't you since the P/S rack has less turns lock to lock than a non P/S car

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hardly anything around for them now, I race a 216 GTi and trying to get engines parts is almost impossible, I've got 5 engines and could only make 2 serviceable units out of the lot. Going back to steering there was never any quicker steering rack available, even the factory Dunlop race cars used the normal steering rack but with stocks and springs developed by ac delco and Tony pond racing for RoverSport. You do have power steering on yours don't you since the P/S rack has less turns lock to lock than a non P/S car
Yes you are right, i do. I do have a solution for that, it is kinda sketchy. It's like this small box, that you put between the steering shaft and the rack itself, and it quickens it. The ratio i think is 1 turn steering wheel, 2 turns rack. I imagine it's going to be very snappy and dangerous to drive, but i will give it a try eventually. I though maybe i could try to make some camber plates, and add some negative camber, and maximum caster to make the car's steering sharper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldn't comment on those I use the B & G units but they only work with coilovers unfortunately
Ohh, thanks. With all the info i think its best to find some similar size fulltap coilovers, and go from there. Even if there not ment to work with a macPherson strut, at least i will have all the adjustments i want, and i can find something used in decent shape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts