MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its just struck me...people are begining to talk about other suitors, so think about this...

MGR are a pretty small company, with a fairly large cash flow problem in relation to its size. However, as its fairly small its fair game to be taken over by another, bigger company. There are lots of them. Industrial groups as well as car makers.

Fiat, on the other hand, is a huge company, with huge liabilities, huge debts and a market than, in the UK at any rate, has gone into freefall. Even GM was scared to get into bed with Fiat. No-one is gonna swallow that particular albatross (to mix metaphores), so if its to survive I suspect it will have to be torn apart. Even worse, its possibly not SO big that the banks simply cannot allow it to fail (like GM or Ford)

So although its hits the buffers first, I'm beginning to suspect that MGR is in a better state than Fiat, and stands more chance of long term survival...in some recognisable form at least.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
david_r_bates said:
Its just struck me...people are begining to talk about other suitors, so think about this...

MGR are a pretty small company, with a fairly large cash flow problem in relation to its size. However, as its fairly small its fair game to be taken over by another, bigger company. There are lots of them. Industrial groups as well as car makers.

Fiat, on the other hand, is a huge company, with huge liabilities, huge debts and a market than, in the UK at any rate, has gone into freefall. Even GM was scared to get into bed with Fiat. No-one is gonna swallow that particular albatross (to mix metaphores), so if its to survive I suspect it will have to be torn apart. Even worse, its possibly not SO big that the banks simply cannot allow it to fail (like GM or Ford)

So although its hits the buffers first, I'm beginning to suspect that MGR is in a better state than Fiat, and stands more chance of long term survival...in some recognisable form at least.
I totally agree, there's always a chance that venture capitalists like 3i who helped LDV on there way could come in, it's also entirely possible that a company like JCB, BAE Systems, Alvis Vickers or Caterpillar etc may be interested in a small, profitable car manufacturer. Then there's the chance BMW, VAG, Ford or SAIC may buy the company.

Plenty of things can happen yet, it's good to hear that PWC have already have interest in MGR and we can only hope that this interest saves the company and most, if not all of the jobs at Longbridge.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh God please not BAe Systems or BMW again...it'd be like Herod opening a Creche....

Alvis is part of BAe now I think, but Im sure it used to be part of Rover.

JCB would be my choice, but I dont know if they're big enough.....I believe they were after Landrover at one point.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My thoughts are with everyone involved with MG-Rover at this time. From the cleaners to John Towers. Everyoen deserves our support

If I were rich enough, I would be on my way to Longbridge to offer assistance...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Nick Birse said:
I totally agree, there's always a chance that venture capitalists like 3i who helped LDV on there way could come in, it's also entirely possible that a company like JCB, BAE Systems, Alvis Vickers or Caterpillar etc may be interested in a small, profitable car manufacturer. Then there's the chance BMW, VAG, Ford or SAIC may buy the company.

Plenty of things can happen yet, it's good to hear that PWC have already have interest in MGR and we can only hope that this interest saves the company and most, if not all of the jobs at Longbridge.
Alvis Vickers was bought out by BAE System not too long ago and BAE Systems were the ******** who sold Rover to BMW in the first place...

Doesn't leave a lot...

In other words, what David said...

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I feel for Fiat. Another great manufacturer on the brink. They might not be the most reliable or best built, but they certainly have a lot of passion about them. Lancia (owned by Fiat) is certainly something that shares a lot with Rover.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Fiat have 2 billion to determine their own future. Alfa Rome, Ferrari and Mazerati have a future. Fiat could, but it may not be in Italy. Lancia? Well I fear their gonners.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...light relief...

Go Here
and try the 3CX simulator...Looks good, but my mahcine it just too slow :cus:

And remember to tell Sir Anthony Bamford that we all love him, and we'd love him even more if he'd save our company for us....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MGROVERnut said:
Fiat have 2 billion to determine their own future. Alfa Rome, Ferrari and Mazerati have a future. Fiat could, but it may not be in Italy. Lancia? Well I fear their gonners.
Ah...forgot about the cash they screwed out of GM... Still if their current UK sales dive is reflected across Europe it'll not go far...

·
Registered
942 Posts
You know what my dream would be?

Jaguar, Rover, MG and Aston Martin in one group. :( 4 Brands I love to pieces.

But getting back into the real world

Some company will most probably buy MGR, you just cannot put all the companys profession to waste, these guys have made a Sunday Roast out of a single potato, words could not express what they could do with a very high budget and high cash flow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts