MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, after a good couple of days down at RSM this weekend, i was on the way back home with Sie this evening when i had a BIG BIG problem.

Driving happily at 70mph for a change :naughty: and then the car jerked really badly, and my rev needle was going up and down really widly, absolutly unreal!

Then, it went to 0 revs, and my engine warning light came on. It was like for half an hour, BUT, I was still able to maintain speed at 60ish at a reduced level of acceleration.

This is now doing my head in, as it also did it for TWO MORE occasions on the way home but for about a minute.

If anyone can really give me some helpful advice i would be really grateful, i have changed the EGR valve and the manifold absoloute pressure sensor, as well as tightening all the hoses etc... and checking for leaks and things.

Please please help

Regards

Stu C

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah definatly Major, but what if this is not the problem? How much is a new loom as there are no Rover 600 diesels in the scrapyards around here with a good loom in, fact theres only one lol1 and thats got split wires in it hehe.

Think im going to get her booked in for the test book tomorrow, but problem is, its either end of week or next week at the earlist! :(

·
Registered
rover_600
293 Posts
I'd put a pint of Stella on it being the battery, my intercooled 200 L series did exactly the same thing, battery was knackered - replaced it & problem was instantly cured & the problem never returned.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
robsdesk said:
I'd put a pint of Stella on it being the battery, my intercooled 200 L series did exactly the same thing, battery was knackered - replaced it & problem was instantly cured & the problem never returned.
Interesting! I'm not gonna doubt you for one minute...often the basics cause the most complex of 'symptoms'!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although its a nearly new battery, a big bugger too! 700cold crank amp i think it is. Could try "borrowing" my old mans frontera battery tomorrow though and testing it :naughty:

·
Registered
rover_600
293 Posts
Yeah i could see it costing me a fortune, however it does make sense, the alternator for the L series isn't known for having the cleanest of outputs which the battery would normally buffer, in my case the battery was knackered & the voltage into the ECU was jumping around all over the place (which I figured was causing the problems)

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Major Ingram said:
Could be worth a try Stu - we're clutching at straws now!

Have you had the car code-read before? If so, what were they?

No i havnt mate, last time she was in was when my old man owned her, and there was a problem with the fuel filter, but we have never seen them problems or symptoms again.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah right cool!, well it was on for a decent amount of time!, so there definatly would have been a code recoreded (i hope! :lol: ) Fingers crossed what this will tell me, and how my wallet will be effected! £60 odd to get her tested :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts