MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I got back from Cosford with the 75 yesterday, I pulled up next to the 25, and gazed upon it's black trim...still wearing shades of old wax and generally looking a bit cack. I've tried allsorts to get em clean, Autoglym restore gel, Vinyl and Rubber care, Liquid tyre dressing...fine till it rains or the next wash, some even lasted only a few hours.
Then I recalled a trick I used on my Saxo once or twice...Peanut Butter.
Now, this might sound mental, but peanut oil has some crazy ass chemical compostion that loves plastic. Lots. So, I dispensed with the chunky peanut butter and smeared a good wodge on the trim, and holy funk it works! Very, very well!!!! Brought back a lovley, matt black sheen, not white marks, and it appears to be slightly waterproof to boot.
Little tip though, don't use chunky, use smooth paste type peanut butter...my hands looked pretty suspect when I'd finished!

·
Registered
264 Posts
After I got back from Cosford with the 75 yesterday, I pulled up next to the 25, and gazed upon it's black trim...still wearing shades of old wax and generally looking a bit cack. I've tried allsorts to get em clean, Autoglym restore gel, Vinyl and Rubber care, Liquid tyre dressing...fine till it rains or the next wash, some even lasted only a few hours.
Then I recalled a trick I used on my Saxo once or twice...Peanut Butter.
Now, this might sound mental, but peanut oil has some crazy ass chemical compostion that loves plastic. Lots. So, I dispensed with the chunky peanut butter and smeared a good wodge on the trim, and holy funk it works! Very, very well!!!! Brought back a lovley, matt black sheen, not white marks, and it appears to be slightly waterproof to boot.
Little tip though, don't use chunky, use smooth paste type peanut butter...my hands looked pretty suspect when I'd finished!
Ha ha! I bet they did! I also wonder if your neighbours thought you had lost the plot smearing it all over the bumpers!

People get locked up when they start playing with the stuff peanut butter looks like! (chunky version of course)

I would have made sure that the peanut butter jar was on clear display, although that would look a bit nutty too! doh!

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed...erm, quite. You can't knock the results though my good man, seriously, I remember it doing a number on me Caxo, but the Rover trim looks as good, if not better, then new!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Tell you what, you could always try your local chemist's / pharmacy.

Peanut oil is also called Arachis Oil, and is a clear liquid - without any peanuts in it:lol: . So you could ask them for some Peanut oil or Arachis Oil.

I'm guessing that the oil is waterproofing the plastic a bit.

(Oil and water don't mix easily)

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would appear to be the case Rapid, still looks lurvley though this morning...I'm chuffed, so I'll be getting some in liquid form asap now I know it exsists.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
you will have every stray dog in the land sniffing your rear end now :lol:

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hadn't thought of that...still, pro's far outweight the cons, and it's considerably cheaper then anything else...

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
save wiping the excess off the trim, you can always lick it off!!!now that will get ya neighbours net curtains twiching!!

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They already think I'm bonkers dell, I even got accused of stealing a door mat the other week....long story. There's only one lady in my block who doesn't stare at me like I just strayed from the local asylum when I'm washing me cars...hell, the peanut butter probably got em ringing Goscote Mental Ward for a pickup :whistle:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stick with the peanut butter chunky, it's hilarious. You could smear it all over your face too and lick your fingers whenever passerbys disapprove! Next time you apply it take some photos. Peanut oil is for whimps!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Just a quick question, is groundnut oil the same thing? If so I'll try some on my old Alfa in the morning as I have some.
Jim

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
so what do you do?? put the butter or oil onto the strips and then immediately wipe off? or leave for a few minutes? Any instructions to this? lol

·
Registered
36,503 Posts
you will have every stray dog in the land sniffing your rear end now :lol:
I had to read this thread.

A common cause of electrical failure in Germany is "pine marten bite" where the furry creatures scoff a car's cables for the taste.

What worries me more is that under EU law you probably have to drive round with stickers on your bumper saying

"WARNING. These bumpers may contain nuts".

In dog language.

:lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
went up my local tesco's this morning and bought some Groundnut Oil which contained Peanuts, I couldnt find anything called Peanut oil so i thought Groundnut would be just as good.

Dabbed the oil onto one cloth, rubbed it into the trim, used another cloth to buff/wipe off the excess oil and..... im shocked!!! My once pachy spoiler and trim look black and shiny again.... its amazing!!! Any idea on how long it lasts for?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts