MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copy and paste from an eamil forwarded to me....i dont really have a clue what my sisters friend is talking about, so any help appreciated...
Shes 6 foot and blonde and early 20s if it helps get more answers.....:)

They got it from the Police, as thats where she works, hence why it was wiped....

Copy and paste:

The computer saga is as follows:
1. The PC was completely wiped of everything, and needed to be
"F-Disked". We have the disks to "F-Disk" it, which was successful, but
when you get to a black screen where you need to type in things like C:/
and D:/ to test you have the necessary drives, it goes a bit
pear-shaped...
2. We managed to get both C and D drive (and A drive) loaded,
apparently you need D drive to let your CD Rom run, and you need your CD
Rom to run so that you can load Windows onto your PC. However, when you
go to test the D drive by typing in D:/dir/w (I think!) it comes up with
the following message: "Volume in drive D has no label. Volume serial
number is 190F-1BFS. File not found."
3. According to the instructions Mitch has, this is not the message
that should appear. Mitch thinks it's because the D drive has no volume
label (because C has a volume label and works fine). But he cannot attach
a volume label to D drive.

This probably makes as much sense to you as to me, but I would be v v
grateful of you could ask Michael if he understands. How do you attach a
volume label? You may need to print this email off!

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
when you do a full format on a pc, the D drive becomes E, you could always just go into bios and let cd-rom auto boot, so then no need to do the dos commands to get into windows setup.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
It looks as though the instructions got muddled.

As to exactly what they are tying to do i have no idea, but i do know that the command given is a full screen directory dump of the D: drive. The problem is they are typing it in all at once and trying to access a directory called W in a directory called DIR on the D: drive which, well, won't exist.

They need to do it instages.
assuming the prompt they have is A:\ they need to type D: then hit return. This should result in the prompt changing to D:\, if it doesn't there is no drive on drive D: meaning the CD-ROM drivers didn't load on the boot disc. They will have to go and get a better boot disc with CD-ROM support.

Anyway assuming we are now at D:\. They then need o type the following dir /w (notice the space!) and hit return. this should result in a list of the contents of the CD.

Quite as to what they are planning on doing with this info i can't tell from that e-mail.

I am assuming they are trying to install windows, if it's windows 98 then so long as the Win98 CD is in and the CD-ROM drivers are loaded then they should just type setup and return. if it's WinXP then they really ought to be doing a 'Boot from CD-ROM' cos it's a bit more tricky from a DOS prompt.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
when you do a full format on a pc, the D drive becomes E
EH??

assuming one HD, one CD-ROM, then you'll find D drive is the CD-ROM drive after the format. It would have been C: before the format. C: now becomes the hard drive. E: should never come into unless you have more than one HD or CD-Drive.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
when you do a full wipe of a pc, you put in the boot disc, which is normally a floppy right? then it loads its drivers onto a drive which is normally after the hard disk location of C which is D, so the CD-Rom jumps on letter to E, this has always been the case whenever ive done pc formats and re-installs, unless i just imagined the whole thing :eyes:

try it, put in win boot floppy, menu comes up asking cd-rom support or not, choose cd-rom support, it then continues to load up all the files that are needed for windows to start, when done it says files successfully loaded to drive D: so making cd-rom E:\

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
when you do a full wipe of a pc, you put in the boot disc, which is normally a floppy right? then it loads its drivers onto a drive which is normally after the hard disk location of C which is D, so the CD-Rom jumps on letter to E, this has always been the case whenever ive done pc formats and re-installs, unless i just imagined the whole thing

try it, put in win boot floppy, menu comes up asking cd-rom support or not, choose cd-rom support, it then continues to load up all the files that are needed for windows to start, when done it says files successfully loaded to drive D: so making cd-rom E:\
You've imagined it :p I've been building PCs for years. An unformated (EDIT: correction, un-partitioned, as a partition is required to determine the file type) hard drive will not be assigned any letter at all when you first boot from a floppy has it has no partition and hence no supported file format. So assuming you have 1 HD and 1 CD-ROM then on first boot from a floppy with CD support it will assign letter A: to the floppy, B: is reserved for a second floppy although rarely used and C: is assigned to the only other existing drive the CD-ROM. After perfoming an F-Disk, creating a single partition and then rebooting the drives (drive letter re-allocation is not plug and play in DOS and so is only altered after a reboot) are assigned A: for the floppy, B: is still reserved, C: for the newly formatted HD partition and D: is now the CD-ROM.

The only time E: is used is if:
a: There is two HDs, both with valid partitions.
b: a single HD with two or more valid partitions.
c: 2 or more CD-ROMs (or other storage device).

EDIT2: You've obviously only worked with re-formated Hard Drives not un-partitioned ones (as they come from the store). No drive letter reallocation is performed unless a new partition (each partition is treated as a seperate physical drive) is created. So even if you have a HD drive that is unformated but already partitioned, on first boot you'd get, A:Floppy, C: Hard Drive, no volume label, D: CD-ROM. After Format, you'd have A: Floppy, C: Hard Drive, with volume label, D: CD-ROM.

if you created a new partition prior to the format you'd have:
A: Floppy, C: Hard Drive, Primary Partition. D: Hard Drive, Secondary/Extended Partition, E: CD-ROM.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Is he not talking about the old DOS/windows Ram disk?

That used d: to load format and fdisk etc

So yes cd-rom would become E: in that instance.

Unless of course your Autoexec.bat and config.sys told the cd-rom to be something stupid like X: which the old Packard bells used to do

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Well from the posts above i took it that they were using a boot disk, presumably either a Win2k or Win98 boot disk. Using any other method seems daft for what i assume is a straight forward windows install. Hell if it's WinXP don't even need a boot disk, assuming you motherboard supports boot from ATAPi device.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It is important to know what version of Windows they are trying to install.

Windows XP/ 2000 requires no hard disk preparation. Boot from the CD to install windows. You will likely have to change the startup device/ boot order in the BIOS to make this happen.

Windows 95/ 98 are supplied with a setup boot disk to load the CD driver and start the installation.
They also require that you manually partition the disk using FDISK. Then, windows setup will be able to format it for you.

From the original message it sounds like the hard disk has been partitioned and formatted.
It is also a good assumption that the CD-Drive could be something other than 'D:' but, as it is saying "File not found" it is likely not a RAM drive which would normally have utilities loaded onto it. Ensure that the CD is in the drive and it is closed.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The reason for the file 'not found' I strongly believe is due to the reason i specified above. From the line typed it appears they are trying to access a folder/file that does not exist. D:/dir/w is incorrect format for windows/DOS even if you are trying to access a folder. Assuming dir and w were folders the correct syntax would be D:\dir\w. \ is DOS/Windows based and / is *nix based. However given the line typed and the fact they are 'testing' the drive I am left with no other conclusion that what they are trying to do is test the contents (i.e. display directory listing) of the D: drive. The correct syntax for this i have already posted and you can see the similarity. You change to the D: drive by typing D: and hitting enter, then type DIR (for a directory listing) and /w (to specify the option switch to display folder and file names across the screen) and then hit enter.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You will only get: "Volume in drive D has no label. Volume serial
number is 190F-1BFS. File not found." From a directory listing.

An incorrect command would be answered with "Incorrect Syntax" or "Bad Command or File Name"

Either way, they would do well to put XP on the machine unless the hard disk capacity prevents them.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Thats what i just said!!! D: is valid, /dir/w is not!! hence it thought it was looking for a file called /dir/w on the D: drive, hence file not found.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
michaelperrin said:
However, when you
go to test the D drive by typing in D:/dir/w (I think!) it comes up with
the following message: "Volume in drive D has no label. Volume serial
number is 190F-1BFS. File not found."
:eyes: :)

Richard Moss said:
why not just bung in the Windows CD rom and re-boot?
Only Windows 98 SE and about will boot from the CD. BIOS may not be enabled to boot from CD. CD Drive may be damaged.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,683 Posts
Oh dear. Schtopper has hit the nail right on the head there, I'd back his solution up completely.

On a separate note, NEVER write down instructions for people to do things like this! You'll only end up spending more time fixing it for them :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts