MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Apologies in advance for knowingly posting this under the MGF/TF rather than the Metro section - which is the model I’m in the process of working on - but I thought the query will equally apply here, and this section seems understandably more buoyant.
Anyway, the humble little 18k miles basic Metro has decided to push steam out of the exhaust following a long period of being idle (it‘s not simple condensation), so it will be off with its head!
Appreciating the type of HG will be dictated by what I find with the liner heights, I am now starting to gather information on appropriate bolts to use etc, and have come across a set of Payen being sold by Car Parts in Motion, at a tad under £30, as apposed to Victor Reinz ( which I was favouring) at rather more. Again I appreciate Payen make gaskets rather than bolts, but I’d like to think anything sold under their brand would match their gasket quality.
Main question:- Is Payen still the top-of-the shop manufacturer that it was? Are Victor Reinz - or another manufacturer’s - products now better than Payen?
Many thanks in advance.
Austin.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,379 Posts
Payen are part of Federal-Mogul who make most thing (not just gaskets), and supplied a number of the original K series engine parts to Rover - big-end bearings, camshafts, valve guides, valve seats and valve seals, gudgeon pins (from 1991 on), cylinder liners (1995 on), and pistons and rings (from 1991 on). The 2006 type MLS gasket (two-layer + shim) was developed and supplied by Goetze, who are anothe Federal-Mogul subsidiary.

The original K series SLS/elastomer gasket was developed and manufactured by Coopers, who later became part of Payen.

I would say the bolts supplied under the Payen brand will come from elsewhere in the Federal-Mogul group and will be of similarly high quality. The Rover original long bolts were manufactured by Kamax, and I would expect anything from Federal-Mogul to be of similar high quality.

To be honest, i would regard any such parts from any of the recognised brand names to be of high quality - it is only the unbranded ones I would avoid (along with those 'cheapo' aftermarket brands that are widely regarded to be of less then OEM quality).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts