MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
rover_600
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been having some fun recently.
couple of weeks ago set out in the morning to catch a train for a few days with family, out of the drive the 600 went and as soon as I went to turn, funny noises from steering....
oh well haven't got the time to stop and change over cars or anything and it still steers so carry on....
9 miles later I just about got into a car park space @ Preston station and left it, I'll worry about it later when we get back.
Steering now heavy....

Once back, called AA and he immediately diagnosed split PAS pipe : it was the high pressure one from the pump -> rack.
It had rusted through on the rigid section that's connected to the pump just by the rubber sleeve.

Relayed home, and there the car has sat ever since.

Now I am have been battling to get the high pressure pipe off, finally I have won the battle, I ended up taking the whole section of pipe out from the pump -> rack, though not all of this needs replacing as it's actually 2 pipes (I didn't know there was a join low down).

But the cooler section is also looking very rusty, so as I have to get 1 bit of pipe made, I might as well get another done at the same time.

I know people have used 10mm microbore copper to make a new section but I don't really have the time to do this as I have a lot of other things going on and I need to get the car back on the road.

But what I'd like to know is if the cooler pipe just really unclips ?
Look slike a clip is slid back (maybe) and then the pipe can be separated maybe ?

Car is a '99 diesel, BTW....

ta in anticipation...

Stu

·
Registered
705 Posts
A few weeks ago, I replace the air-con condenser and I thought I would remove and check the PAS cooler as the same time.

When I looked at it, removal looked like really hard work, and it did not seem in too bad condition, so I left it in situ, cleaned off all the rust and re-painted it.

IIRC, mechanically, the pipe has two little brackets welded to it and self tapping screws go in to the those two brackets and hold it to the body; no big problem there.

What looked much harder to do was detach the steel pipe from the flexible hoses. Access to those points was terrible. But is that the part that you've already accomplished?

I know people have use copper pipe to make replacements, but was it microbore or just "regular" pipe?
I guess that you don't want to restrict the flow too much, but I don't know what sort of pressure it needs to work at?

B

·
Premium Member
rover_600
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Yes it is the inaccessible clip that I couldn't remove.

Or rather in fact I faffed around trying to undo it and then thought "what's the point if I am having a new pipe made up ?" so just levered it off with a screwdriver.

Pipes are at local hydraulic place to have new ones made.

As it's the low pressure side I said I could just have a piece of flex pipe and use clips to attach it to the solid pipe.
I'll give them a call Tuesday and see how they're getting on.

cheers
Stu

·
Premium Member
rover_600
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally I am back on the road!!!

New pipes took a week to do, I bought some genuine Honda PSF. Put everything back together with engineering creativity on Tuesday, but noticed a small leak from high pressure pipe.
Wednesday used car, but clearly there was a leak from high pressure join. So Thursday night took high pressure pipe off (biggest faff at this point was draining the PSF out).
Took pipe round to place who made it who said "you're supposed to do a high-pressure compression pipe join up TIGHT, like REALLY TIGHT! Line it up where you need it to be then tighten it again really tight."

So back home, passing Honda dealer on way to buy more PSF.

Then this morning lined it all up, tightened the join up TIGHT and then re-attached high pressure hose and whey hey! NO LEAKS!

Been for 15 mile drive, all ok.

Just need to tidy up a few bits and make a mounting bracket for the cooler pipe at the front, then we are done!!!!

it has been a faff though, good job I don't need the car for work or to take the kids anywhere.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts