MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats going to happen with getting parts from now on then or will furrows still sort the parts and servicing??

As iv had 2x aftermarket parts and had no joy and ended up going to rover.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,452 Posts
Caterpillar only own the parts distribution. The parts themselves are made by a multitude of companies. Assuming they continue to trade, they will continue to produce the parts for as long as there is a worthwhile demand for them ie. as long as there are MG and Rover cars on the road in significant numbers.

In any case, quite a few parts are common with other manufacturers vehicles, so these won't be affected at all.

I would not see any problem with obtaining parts in the short term, and I think that even in 3 to 5 years, most parts will be obtainable. Mind you, my own experience of MG & Rover cars suggests that most will not need any (other than service parts).

·
Registered
mg_zs
358 Posts
Man in the Car said:
Caterpillar only own the parts distribution. The parts themselves are made by a multitude of companies. Assuming they continue to trade, they will continue to produce the parts for as long as there is a worthwhile demand for them ie. as long as there are MG and Rover cars on the road in significant numbers.

In any case, quite a few parts are common with other manufacturers vehicles, so these won't be affected at all.

I would not see any problem with obtaining parts in the short term, and I think that even in 3 to 5 years, most parts will be obtainable. Mind you, my own experience of MG & Rover cars suggests that most will not need any (other than service parts).
Interestingly, PVH take a cut of the profits from selling parts. MGR has no input.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Cat do all the parts as far as I am aware. They took over after BMW shafted Unipart and MG Rover took the rap for that on Watchdog. We wear told at work today all parts for the older cars up to the face lifts wear guaranteed.

G

·
You can get parts for 1972 Vauxhall Vivas - so what makes you think that you won't be able to get parts for a 1990s Rover 200?

I run a car that went out of production in 1970 - and most parts have been available for most if not all of that time.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
This is sort of where the 'old' design of most of the cars i.er ZS being a 45/400 comes in handy. The sheer number of rovers on the road that share common parts is huge and as such it is very unlikely that the parts business is going to dry up due to lack of custom.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Most of the stuff pre 1989 is either discontinued or in short supply. Lots of stuff for the Mini/Metro/100/MK2 200/MK1 400/MK3 200 and MK2 400 is getting thin on the ground especially interior trim and accessories.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Caterpillar Inc is a massive company so even if they need to make parts themselves or pay to get parts made, that will not be a problem.

If the unthinkable happens, it's possible British Motor Heritage will step in and manufacture replacement panels etc.

Some Rovers' have parts which are directly interchangeable with Hondas' such as the 827, R8 216 and 416, 618 and 620 Petrol, and some trim etc from the HH-R 400/45 (pre facelift) will be interchangeable too, although likely won't match. The Rover 75 Diesel has a BMW Diesel engine, so again, worst case scenario, pop down your local BMW dealer, and they should be able to help.

I'm seriously looking at getting either a Rover 618 Petrol or 620 Diesel in the next few weeks, parts availability doesn't worry me at the moment.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I work for an aftermarket parts company and I can assure you that IF MGR does cease trading, the majority of parts will still be available. :tacpb:

All that MGR themselves will produce are castings and pressings, basically the body, chassis and engine. everything else (electrical, ignition, braking suspension etc. etc.) will be produced by other companies, unconnected to MGR. It will not be in their financial interests to stop producing those components, as tooling etc takes many years to pay back the initial outlay. All that will happen is that parts will be distributed by CAT (they don't produce anything) or the OE suppliers will go to aftermarket companies to sell the parts. Plus of course there are always scrapyards. The only problem is that in the short term the prices of these parts may rise somewhat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts