MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been able to get hold of a set of 4 parking sensors for my 75, but where do i get the special drill bit to cut the bumper for fitment ?, are they available from the dealers ?, maybe someone has a part no ? or do you only get the drill bit if you buy the full oem pack new ?.

Thank you

MGR Boy

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'll plead ignorance here - why do you need a special drill bit? Surely some masking tape to stop slippage and the right size will suffice?

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
The special tool shown in the instructions is a punch, although it would be the best way for the workshop to cut the hole, it certainly is not vital, either a hole saw of the right size or a smaller hole opened out with a file will do just as well.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Must admit I don't like the sound of using a punch as this can cause fracturing of the paint from the impact - a drill bit would be more advisable.

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
It is a screw punch, it is in two pieces, a die which cuts the hole, and base that it fits into. A pilot hole is drilled in the centre and the two parts (one each side if the hole) are connected by a bolt, as the bolt screws them together, the die is forced through the through, cutting the material. It doesn't distort or damage the surrounding material and is the quickest and most accurate way for a workshop to do it, but not everyone will have one - hence drill and file.

·
Registered
mg_tf
2,364 Posts
MGR Boy said:
I have been able to get hold of a set of 4 parking sensors for my 75, but where do i get the special drill bit to cut the bumper for fitment ?, are they available from the dealers ?, maybe someone has a part no ? or do you only get the drill bit if you buy the full oem pack new ?.

Thank you

MGR Boy
you need a tank hole saw its a cutter and drill combined get one from B&Q just make sure you get the right size i think the sensors are either 20 or 22mm so just get the one to suit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts