MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fitting a tow bar so removed the rear bumper yesterday. I unplugged the parking sensor after a bit of a struggle with the connector.
After refitting the bumper the parking sensors no longer work. When selecting reverse I get a long continuous beep. Any ideas why? Does it need some sort of calibration after removal perhaps?
I haven't touched any of the electrics for the tow bar yet so there can't be a problem in that area. I have also checked the fuse and reconnected the plug and socket to the bumper sensors.
This is the first car I have owned with parking sensors and I manage to break them within a week!!!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It sounds like the towbar is not recognised by the systems and so the sensors are giving a continuos beep as they are bouncing off the item. I would check your installation and ensure that it is wired up correctly first as it would appear that your sensors are fine.

If you need a description of the Sensors and their operation then pm me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for help but the towbar is not fitted yet. I am part way through fitting a Rover detachable. The main crossbeam behind the bumper is in but the ball isn't fitted as I haven't cut my bumper yet. As mentioned above I haven't touched any of the wiring yet either.
I have just taken the plug and socket apart again and one of the pins looks a diferent colour (difficult to see up there!) I am wondering if there was corrosion anyway, by disturbuing it the contacts are damaged and no longer conduct? It was really difficult to pull apart - even after I figured the little locking clip out!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Apologies, I only scanned your mail and missed the bit about not touching the sparky bits!

Well in that case then it's a connection fault I would presume. You could try disconnecting the battery and re-connecting the block, that way the system may reset itself. It is also possible that in disconnecting the block one of the wires may have been disturbed. Don't forget to make sure you know your radio code before disconnecting the battery though!

You know, the only problem with the members meeting being today is that it's a bit light on experts here at the mo :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine also failed after my tow bar was fitted it turned out where the positive came out of the plug it then splits into 4 (1for each sensor)which are soldered and tapped up mine had completely corroded thru which when disturbed broke the already dodgy connection

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have now confirmed that the plug and socket is faulty. One of the connections (the black wire) had corroded so badly that when eventually seperated it broke apart.
However I bypassed this with a piece of cable and it still doesn't work so I think there are further breaks. Possibly where the cable splits as andytlman has suggested.
The first job is to replace the plug and socket to totally eliminate that. Does anyone know if they are available from Rover as a seperate part or will I have to find an alternative component?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now repaired

I took the bumper off tonight and used my multimeter to test the wiring to each of the sensors. The brown wire didn't seem to be connected to any of them ! when I unwraped the tape from the loom I found the wire broken at the point it splits into four.
The problem was the wire was so corroded it was difficult to solder back together. I suppose a dealer would have just fitted a new wiring assy.
Here's the break. Pretty messy eh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
wiring

I had the same problem, MGR quoted £500 to fix, said the wire had corroded but the labour was expensive. I think the the loom for it was around £60. They want £100 pound to diag rear parking sensors before they even quote fix. Again they said the labour to get to them.

I just twisted mine together and it worked fine for a few weeks. Will do a good soldier job tommorow.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
Hi schwantzz, good work. I have exactly the same problem on my newly-purchased Tourer. From what ZTTboy said in reply to your post, I'm glad I didn't consider going to a dealer, but the request to my local garage man still produced a bit of tooth-sucking. I guess they'll always cover themselves on electrical wiring problems.

I may have to attempt repair myself. Is it possible to reach that joint without bumper removal? I can see and feel part of the loom, where it reaches a connector before going through the wheel-well panel. If not, could you tell me where the bumper fixings are? I can see two metal and two plastic screws underneath, but the others must be behind panels. Maybe I'll just pull the fuse and wait for the Haynes manual, or pass on your info to the garage when the car's in for service next month.

I can't tell from the picture, but was the corrosion at an existing joint? If so, did the other sensor wires look like they were deteriorating as well? I'm wondering if some preventive maintenance might be wise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes

yes you can get to it on your back, the reason it corrods (if thats haw you spell it) is because the water and dirty flirts up off the road and it rusts and breaks.

Yopu can see most of the wires from the sensors on your back just follow them where they join into four as per pics. Then check them out you find a break somewhere they are very sensitive you need a good connection, the slightest break effects them.

i paid the £60 for them to diag refused the fix and did myself. MGR wont just soldier they replace the loom, to cover themselves i suppose but its an easy fix if it is the wiring rusty. Just fiddly from opn your back, i got a friend with a pit much easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually had 2 problems with mine. The first was the connector between the bumper loom and the main loom. When I pulled them apart one of the pins had corroded and disintegrated.
The second which is pictured was on the wiring loom in the bumper.
I would suggest you remove the rear bumper for access.
Pull the electrical plug and socket apart. Lay on your back and you can get it quite easily
Remove the cover trim from the top of the bumper - held in place with clips. Use a wide bladed screwdriver to gently pop them up.
There are 2 small screws to the side by the rear lights.
2 more fixings under the bumper onto the spare wheel recess
2 screws under the ends by the wheel arch.
Get some help with the bumper. You need to pull it back and the sides out.

You will now see the wiring clearly.

If you have a multi meter you can unplug each sensor in turn and check the continuity right through.

Or just unwrap the tape and look for where the wires split to each sensor.

There really isn't anything complicated in there - just a simple case of find the break and fix it.

Good luck - I am now happily beeping my way backwards again!!!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
Cheers. I replied to your PM before reading this, so ignore anything inappropriate. I've located all the fixings and might have a go now, but thanks for the warning about getting help. I expect that would be needed even more for re-fitting.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Mine fixed themselves after a month or so of doing it.

One day, got in, selected reverse to get out of the driveway and to my delight - heard the 'blip' and they worked perfectly, and have done ever since, after a solid month of going beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
schwantzz said:
I actually had 2 problems with mine. The first was the connector between the bumper loom and the main loom. When I pulled them apart one of the pins had corroded and disintegrated.
The second which is pictured was on the wiring loom in the bumper.
I would suggest you remove the rear bumper for access.
Pull the electrical plug and socket apart. Lay on your back and you can get it quite easily
<<snip>>
If you have a multi meter you can unplug each sensor in turn and check the continuity right through.

Or just unwrap the tape and look for where the wires split to each sensor.

There really isn't anything complicated in there - just a simple case of find the break and fix it.

Good luck - I am now happily beeping my way backwards again!!!
Just as you said, unwrapped the tape half-an-inch back from the split and found green corrosion where there should have been yellow insulation. I reckon the tape had trapped some moisture - probably a common problem with such a poorly made loom. Sprayed everything with WD40 after making the joint. Also tied the connector up to the chassis, higher so the moisture will hopefully not drip down into the split.

Didn't need to remove the bumper after all - just one of the fixings to drop it an inch or two. The loom holders pulled away from the bumper easily enough for the wires to reach the edge.

Separating the connector was the hard part, as I was afraid of breaking a wire by forcing, but it popped eventually and was clean enough.

When I selected reverse to test, the sensors detected the cushion I'd been lying on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts