MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 400 hatch with speakers installed in the parcel shelf. Of course it was a home job, the wires were just wrapped around the speaker terminals, and hanging down everywhere in the boot!! :(

First time I put my bike in the boot I ripped one of the cables off the speaker. I have some different types of tape, but I was wondering the best way to:

a) keep the cable neatly attached to the underside of the shelf
b) what connectors to use so I can make sure it disconnects easily when I remove the shelf to eg put my bike in the back.

Any help appreciated!

They are nice speakers, so I'm hoping to keep them! I know it's relying on the boot as a speaker box (not good) but they are nicer than the standards, and if I remove them I'm left with holes in the shelf anyway.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I guess there arent that many ways to keep it tidy under a parcel shelf if you plan to remove them from time to time to put the bike in, how about glueing a cable tidy to the underside, from towards the speakers to the lip at the front end of the shelf?

You could glue velcro cable ties there, or the plastic tubing you get in argos, dixons etc, and slide the wiring in and out when needed..

As for removal, I'd guess you could crimp on some 'spade' connectors the the end of the wires?

hope it helps

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Spade terminals would be the key to frustration.. you'd pull at least one off every time you remove the wires. If you're handy with soldering, some neutrik speakon connectors are the way forwards. Failing that you could DIY a system using magnets.

As for how to keep the wires tidy under the shelf... hot glue would work (directly to the wires), or you can get sticky bases from maplin (that'll require additional superglue to hold to carpet) designed specifically for cable ties.. I have a run of 1/0awg running under my car held on by these - no problems yet :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
hot glue to the wires wont be good if he wants to remove the shelf though?
Depends where the connectors are placed :)

I would hot glue or fix the wire some other non-removable way to the shelf, and put the connectors off to one side, so there's no need to remove the wiring on the shelf.

·
Registered
mg_zt
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wire the guy used was 1-core with shielding... not speaker wire... but I will look at the speaker connectors, I like the idea. I have a good soldering iron so it's not a problem.

I was thinking the same with spade connectors, they are useless for places where you are constantly disconnecting/connecting.

I can mount some speaker sockets in the shelf-support, and that way if someone forgets the speaker connectors will likely just pop out.

Thanks guys! I have my solution (I think) will let you know how it works out.

Hot glue gun - good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts