MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here ever had a go at painting a die cast model - what paint should I use? I've got a 1:18 bburago model that I'd like to paint to match my car :) yeah.. sad but true :)

And before anyone says "why don't you go an ask on your own forum?" ;) You're still all my best friends who answer me... the 'others' don't :) (I don't mean the 'others' from Lost by the way... I mean the 'others' from the 'other' site)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Did a VW Golf cabrio once stripped it down masked off any bits that could not be removed and used the dealer spray cans in the same colour as the real car with the reccommended under coat.

needs fine misty spray.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
No reason normal car paint won't work. But you will need to primer first and then lacquer afterwards for the best result.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys... this sounds like a project now :)

One "sapphire black" Z4 coming up :) Luckily the model I have already has the beige interior... but not the right alloys... a little difficult to model I feel!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yep, spray cans will do it buy don't put the paint on too thick or you'll start to blend out some of the detail.

·
Registered
846 Posts
:) Why not have a look at Humbrol model paints? Used to come in a wide range of colours and shades in handy small tins ideal for such scale models. Goes on quite smooth with fine hair "artists" brushes or small "badger" air brush. Will give a finer finish than full size car aerosols plus full size cars paint colour may appear too dark or heavy on metalic applied to such a small surface.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
I have a model MGF. I have bene meaning to modify it by putting on trophy splitter and rear spoiler and making trophy lights/quad rears. BUt I have never gor tound to it. I am not sur what to use to make the spoilers.

Maybe a job fpr those long summer evenings :lol:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Should be fairly easy depending on skill levels, take a look in a model shop, the ones that do "airfix" types and scale r/c aircraft, cars etc. Normally they have a selection of suitable raw materials for such projects:) .

·
Registered
115 Posts
1:18 models of our cars

Hello!

Anyone here knows a place where to buy Bburago models of MGf and TF? I was looking for one in the internet... but the most cheap I've found on ebay was 65 Euros from China!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts