MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my 75 serviced yesterday, everything ok I have been informed that my front brake pads are down to 30% and there is a small lip on the discs.

At what point should I expect the warning light to illuminate ?

I should add that I plan on replacing my 75 towards the end of the year so I'm hoping the pads/discs will last the distance !

·
Registered
rover_75
61 Posts
Dont forget that the service garage has to expect that no-one will look at those brakes for another 15,000 miles so they have to advise you.

Doesnt sound as if you have a problem at present but it will depend on mileage covered and whether discs are so worn that they will fail MOT (unlikely)

I was in a dealers the other day and saw a E Class Mercedes on the ramp. 04 Reg, the owner had driven for 3 months with the warning light on, had no friction material on pad and had worn the disc through to the vent casting!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
My brake pads are being replaced as they are needing replacement within about 1,000 miles. I had done 18,000 miles. All being well, I'll have my car back looking like new today.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
IanRobertson said:
My brake pads are being replaced as they are needing replacement within about 1,000 miles. I had done 18,000 miles. All being well, I'll have my car back looking like new today.
Fantastatic news Ian, not about the pads I hasten to add. A garage that does what it says it's going to do.
See you on Sunday :)

MM

·
Registered
32 Posts
I suppose it depends on the type of driving you do as to how long your pads will last.

My warning light come on on Friday with 53K on the clock. I've had the car from new and this is the first time they've needed changing. The rears still have life left in them so don't need changing yet. I've been told to wait for the light then take it back.

My driving is all motorway and I do long distances without having to brake very often, my wife on the other hand drives 5 miles a day in stop start traffic in her Fabia and needed new pads and disks after 20K.

If you know how many miles your car has done since the pads were new, you can estimate on getting 30% of that mileage out of your pads if there's 30% left on them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I guess the answers are all right, also, I guess you could consider when it's best to do them financially, a major issue for myself and keeping two cars on the road.

You need to think if new pads and discs are around 80-90 pounds, pads alone 25-35 pounds for OEM if you shop around, is it worth doing them anyway. A 'small' lip is probably nothing to be concerned about, but again, discs are an easy job for peace of mind.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
mmcomputing said:
Fantastatic news Ian, not about the pads I hasten to add. A garage that does what it says it's going to do.
See you on Sunday :)

MM
Change of plan - the car isn't going to be ready. Bumper problems yet again!

·
Registered
135 Posts
At the service last year the mechanic told me the pads were "quite low" and would need replacing soon. It's been 12 months and, admittedly, only 8000 miles but I've had no warning light. So either the pads weren't as low as I was told or my sensors aren't working! Either way I've asked for the price of replacement pads to be included in it's next (imminent) service.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I paid £32.99 for proper MG Rover front brake pads from Ebay. That was delivered next day by courier. The service was excellent. It certainly beat the price quoted by my local Xpart dealer of £65.00.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only cover about 6000 miles per year so I'm hopeful that I won't have to replace the discs/pads before the time comes for me to wave goodbye to my 75.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts