MG-Rover.org Forums banner

P0563 fault code

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  MgFoReVeR 
#1 ·
Hi all been a while hope your all well and good. Soooooooo had a new battery 12 months ago , was getting loads of faults, cruise control, traction control , after new battery all was good. Mg6 is a 1.9dti , recently cruise control fault again and a check engine light !!! Had the battery tested , all good, then the car threw the fault P0563 which to a normal cheap reader says system voltage high. I'm thinking my alternator is slowly failing but was hoping someone here could shed some light on the code also, thanks all

#3 ·
Thanks Chris, I should have said I have had a mtimeter on the batt while running, it got to around 14.3v after a while, then I've been told these alternators are smart alternators ??? and go up and down on the output and you can't carry out the test like you an myself thought. My gut keeps pointing to the alternator so I'm thinking of picking one up and just trying it

#8 · (Edited)
Although the code says voltage high it does not mean the voltage is too high, it's most likely been thrown up die to a flat battery, or disconnected battery.

Check cable from the battery to the alternator for high resistance, check cabling to the PCM aka Engine ECU.

Make sure battery terminals are tight and corrosion free which they should be.

Go to somewhere who has a proper battery tester to test the battery. Using a multimeter rarely tells you whether a battery is good or not. All that does in confirm the change in the battery and output voltage of the alternator/charging system.

I think you could be wasting money on an alternator without any others symptoms pointing to it.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Although the code says vintage high it does not mean the voltage is too high, it's most likely been thrown up die to a flat battery, or disconnected battery.

Check cable from the battery to the alternator for high resistance, check cabling to the PCM aka Engine ECU.

Make sure battery terminals are tight and corrosion free which they should be.

Go to somewhere who has a proper battery tester to test the battery. Using a multimeter rarely tells you whether a battery is good or not. All that does in confirm the change in the battery and output voltage of the alternator/charging system.

I think you could be wasting money on an alternator without any others symptoms pointing to it.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk
Hi simcor, I have cleared the code and yes it has come back. I think what you have said makes sense. I'm going to get another test put on the Battery.will keep you posted on the outcome

#10 ·
Right, some serious problems now, had the battery tested which is all good, alternator seems to be doing its job also, but I am getting that many fault codes now it's unbelievable. Cruise control, stability control etc etc. Then it's cutting out , it was running and engine check came on and throttle would not rev the car, just sat idling, seems like too many issues. I'm wondering If like simcor said maybe some damage cables or bad earth ? I'm going to have a look this weekend but any ideas where to start , really struggling g with this one guys

#11 ·
Hi guys, thought I'd update, so my best pal and me spent most the day on the 6 yesterday, stripped all the under trays off checked earth leads etc to alternator and starter (starter earth looked a little green) cleaned re attached , took out all the air filter box and cleaned earth point for battery back to fresh metal. Next took out egr valve (which in the end involved taking a the plastic pipe etc out , then lots of penetrative spray and a good bit of tapping with the hammer to free it off , cleaned the life out of it with brake cleaner which seemed to free it up loads. So far so good !! It's done a couple of motorway trips and loads of round town with no issues, fingers crossed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.