MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my rover 2.5 v6 tourer is very thirsty. I haven't had the car a great deal of time but it is only .5 of a litre bigger than my last motor. It doesn't sound lumpy nor does it sound like it has been abused (very clean and only 47k on the clock) and i do not race her. Can anyone shed any light on this matter or is this the norm. thanks.
p.s. someone at work did mutter to me sideways that the cat/con is broken.:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/dunno.gif

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
Hard to say. What IS your mpg and what are you comparing it to? How many miles do you get out (say) a 50 litre fill up and are you mainly a town or motorway driver? How long is a piece of string?:daft:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
According to parkers the 75 tourer 2.5V6 is only good for 29mpg anyway, or 26mpg if its an auto (is it?).
Also those quoted figures are basically unacheivable, so expect less even than that.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
I agreed that the KV6 2.5L is a 'bit' high in fuel comsumption,BUT,when you put your foot down.............................The FUN begins.!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rover 2.5 v6

I would estimate that the car does no than 18-20 miles to the gallon urban
and 25-29 motorway. like someone said earlier "how long is a piece of string". that is a good point but my gauge IS the previous car in which i did the same daily journey. Now another point that was brilliantly put to me earlier was "Yeah but what about the performance when you put your foot down"
Now i know that some thing is up 'cos all i seem to do is limp too the nearest garage doing the same sort of speed as i was before i booted it!!!
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me but can anyone confirm that is what to expect from this car or is their a possible problem somewhere.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Easiest way to find out is to have a code read done and for someone to monitor the live data whilst the engine is running, checking for example what the temp sensor is telling the ECU etc.

Regards
DaveH

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
markeeboy said:
I would estimate that the car does no than 18-20 miles to the gallon urban
and 25-29 motorway. like someone said earlier "how long is a piece of string". that is a good point but my gauge IS the previous car in which i did the same daily journey. Now another point that was brilliantly put to me earlier was "Yeah but what about the performance when you put your foot down"
Now i know that some thing is up 'cos all i seem to do is limp too the nearest garage doing the same sort of speed as i was before i booted it!!!
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me but can anyone confirm that is what to expect from this car or is their a possible problem somewhere.
Thanks again.
From the official figures, the performance you are experiencing isnt all that bad. Could *maybe* get a bit more from the out of town motorway stuff but I dont know.
Make sure the whole car is set up to be as efficient as possible, but I think you are just experiencing the effects of a 2.5 litre V6 in a big car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts