MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I bought my 02 MGTF in september last year, five months later the head gasket blew leaving the engine in a bit of a mess forgive me if I use incorrect terminology but I was told that the piston linings had shifted and even thogh the head gasket could be replaced the engine would be a bit of a mystery afterwards as in who knows how long it will last!!! The warranty company paid out the 800 quid for the job and since then its seemed to be ok, however tonight its started to overheat again. It seems different this time as the water level doesnt seem to have gone down and theres oil in the car too. I've checked the oil cap and theres no scum there (apparently a sign of the head gasket going again?) I let it cool and drove it another 200yds or so and the gaugue went up again. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now whether to try and drive it again or not. I'm quite evil cause I had 5 years finance from the garage that sold it to me and I paid £7000 for it, and a new engine will be pricey if I need that. Does any one have any ideas please????

Thanks

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Hi All

I bought my 02 MGTF in september last year, five months later the head gasket blew leaving the engine in a bit of a mess forgive me if I use incorrect terminology but I was told that the piston linings had shifted and even thogh the head gasket could be replaced the engine would be a bit of a mystery afterwards as in who knows how long it will last!!! The warranty company paid out the 800 quid for the job and since then its seemed to be ok, however tonight its started to overheat again. It seems different this time as the water level doesnt seem to have gone down and theres oil in the car too. I've checked the oil cap and theres no scum there (apparently a sign of the head gasket going again?) I let it cool and drove it another 200yds or so and the gaugue went up again. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now whether to try and drive it again or not. I'm quite evil cause I had 5 years finance from the garage that sold it to me and I paid £7000 for it, and a new engine will be pricey if I need that. Does any one have any ideas please????

Thanks
There are many things that could cause your overheating, and it does not always mean another HGF...

Your thermostat could have stuck closed, there could be an airlock or obstruction in the coolant system/radiator, your radiator fan fuse could have blown.... all and more could cause overheating.

I would get the coolant system checked by someone who knows the F/TF before making plans for a new engine!.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
If the linings had sunk.... no head gasket will ever fix it as it won't seal properly.

If you had a warranty and they knew the liners had sunk, I'm not sure why they didn't replace the engine as it would of been a big engine overhaul... or a scrap engine and personally, I'm not even sure you can fix sunken liners economically.

One thing to try though would be coolant expansion cap as if its not sealing the coolant isn't under pressure.

Does the fan come on at all as it gets hot?
Do you have hot air from the dash?

Any of you guys got any pointers with one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theydidnt replace the engine because the warranty was a crap free one they gave me with the car that only covered for a certain amount, not enough for the engine. My journey from work was quite long and the twemp was ok all the way ( I check since the HG went, call me paranoid!!!!!) but im sure that the fan did come on in traffic and hot air comes out of the dash vents. Can anyone recommend a course of action? should I try and drive it again?

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. Unfortunately it's a garage job and I wouldn't drive it until it's fixed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah sounds like the thermostat. Same thing happened to mine just a few months ago. Think its a cheap part to buy but they may charge a fair bit on labour to fit it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Guys, will get it checked out, this site has been a wicked little discovery for me!!! Shall no doubt be back on for further advice!!

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,730 Posts
Dont know a great deal about tf's but I would get a compression test and leak down test done to confirm liner/hgf. Liners can come loose due to hgf/head removal, particularly if the liners arent clamped solid when the head comes off, who knows how well sealed they were in the factory???!! They can be lifted, cleaned and resealed without stripping the block but it must be done very carefully and cleanly just prior to bolting the head down.
I have done quite a bit of reading about the k series coolant system recently, my only conclusion can be that it is rubbish, not just on the tf but the zr too.
As a result I have just done the lr prrt conversion on my zr160 to be sure, what an improvement. If I owned even a brand new TF I definitely would not dare drive it until the coolant system was totally modified. There are some great TF/Elise/k series cooling articles on the web.
Try here for a start-
http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Pressure_Relief_Remote_Thermostat

Further to the liners problem, coolant flow cycling at the thermostat probably contributes to/causes most liner failure, particularly number one cylinder at the coolant inlet for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definately going to stick around, not just for when things go wrong!!!:minxy: I'm going to take it down to the local garage I think, i wish I knew enough to look at it myself and take it all apart, i'd love to be able to. Judging by the amount that going wrong with it I think i'll look into taking a course in mechanics!!!!! Any recommendations for courses in the South Wales area greatly welcomed!!! They would have to not take the mick for me being a girl though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car Mechanics for women

Hope this helps. Newport college run a course in car mechanics for women.
Don't know how good it is or how in-depth you wan to go but I would imagine it covers the basics and they would probably be able to give you some advise on other courses available.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Definately going to stick around, not just for when things go wrong!!!:minxy: I'm going to take it down to the local garage I think, i wish I knew enough to look at it myself and take it all apart, i'd love to be able to. Judging by the amount that going wrong with it I think i'll look into taking a course in mechanics!!!!! Any recommendations for courses in the South Wales area greatly welcomed!!! They would have to not take the mick for me being a girl though
If you join the SWMGF which is in your area you will find they are a very friendly bunch of people who will provide you with a lot of help and advice!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts