MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 TF has begun overheating in traffic. It's fine as soon the car is moving a few MPH - the temperature soon drops.

I keep needing to top the water up due to it evaporating.

When I stop I can usually here the fan is going, but (I'm not engine savvy here) when I look inside the engine, I can't see the fan, let alone see it moving. Should the fan be visible? I thought I would check the fan was working as a first step.

Any other ideas and suggestions?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,181 Posts
Is the oil clean with no signs of "mayo"?

If it is then I would buy a new coolant filler cap from Xpart or Halfords and see if that helps.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Your problem sounds very similar to mine.
I also have a TF135 and I started overheating in traffic.
I diagnosed my problenm as the radiator fan not cutting in.

Your radiator fan is at the front of the car. This is the fan that keeps your coolant cool. Without it, your engine will over heat.

This is quite a common thing with F/TFs. Its a pain in the arse cos if it gets out of hand it leads to HGF!

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Your problem sounds very similar to mine.
I also have a TF135 and I started overheating in traffic.
I diagnosed my problenm as the radiator fan not cutting in.

Your radiator fan is at the front of the car. This is the fan that keeps your coolant cool. Without it, your engine will over heat.

This is quite a common thing with F/TFs. Its a pain in the arse cos if it gets out of hand it leads to HGF!

Did I read somewhere that the first thing to do is to check the radiatior fuse...and replace it with a higher rating if it is still ok?

mikef

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you can get far enough under the front of the car make sure the wiring loom to the rad is connected properly. Mine had come apart totally which lead to identical symptoms to those described.

Certainly sounds like rad fan in both cases here so worth getting it sorted PDQ.

HTH

Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the oil clean with no signs of "mayo"?

If it is then I would buy a new coolant filler cap from Xpart or Halfords and see if that helps.

There does appear to be traces of creamy coloured stuff.....is that bad? Is this the dreaded gasket failure? - if so what's the up shot?

Apart from over heating in traffic it seems fine though.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Traces of mayo on the dipstick can be normal and is sometimes just down to too many short journeys. Worth keeping an eye on though.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I had mayo (tiny blob on bottom of dipstick) and on closer inspection found a little on the cone where the dip stick enters the engine. Everytime I pulled the dipstick out I scraped the bottom of it on this sludge and it looked like mayo on the end. I cleaned up the mayo off the cone and that was that. I put the mayo that was there down to condensation as it was a wet weekend, and the car was only doing short journeys. I took the car for a blast (50miles) up and down the motorway and the mayo was gone for sure.

I'd still change the cap and go from there. If you change the cap and are still losing coolant, then have the car pressure tested.

Iain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts