MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '96 MGF for about 18 months, it runs well with a steady temperature,but occasionaly, usually climbing hills the temp goes right up to the red only to come down quickly when back to level running. Any ideas, I know the manual says a rise in temp may be noticed on hill climbing but not that hot!

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Is your radiator OK and is your radiator fan working OK? Warm the car up park on your drive and leave it running for a while, does the fan come on? One trick to get rid of excess heat is to put your heaters on full and the blower on full, might want to open the windows, though you shouldn't need to do this. What happens to the temp on a fast motorway run?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, no problem with normal cooling even in traffic I can leave it running for ages all fans cut in and out properly and there's no loss of coolant.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
The only thing I can think of then is your timing/fuel setup as climbing hills puts an extra load on the engine. I was just wondering about the efficiency of your cooling system. The reason I asked about motorway was you would probably have a good airflow anyway and shouldn't overheat if your radiator is working properly. My train of thought was that climbing a hill would mean you are going slower but with an increased load on the engine, so would need the fan for extra cooling.

Remember as well that it has been unseasonably warm recently, so it will start showing any problems with your cooling.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Sorry to say imo, there's something wrong somewhere. The F cooling system is usually very good and copes with just about anything without moving from the normal position. You're not loosing coolant so that's good.
How are the fins on your radiator, they're well known for rotting off.
Check your thermostat is opening fully or change it anyway
Failing that its a good flush out making sure you bleed the system properly and watch for any airlocks whilst its warming up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cooling in general is no problem on long fast runs and even slow running in traffic its almost as if the cooling effect stops and then starts again, as though the flow of coolant is being interupted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think I'm going to have to start with the thermostat and a good bleed of the system as the rad looks in good nick.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
I would have thought the thermostat would have shown up during normal driving, but it is worth a check. The radistor is worth checking due to corrosion, as already mentioned. That is why I asked what your radiator was like. Remember, it doesn't have to be a complete failure, just a reduction in efficiency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts