MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm looking for a second car for work, and i've found a 400 saloon going VERY cheap at work, the guy's selling it for a relative, but its overheating. mine for around £250 if im quick, the head gasket was done a month ago with reciepts, its it worth a punt or could it be a relapse of the head gasket? tha ad says 10k miles but I'm GUESSING it's a typo and means 100k.

MOT runs out next month as does tax, but for £250, isit worth the risk? very good condition too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah possibly worth a purchase!

Ask where the head gasket was done and it was done properly, i assume it was!

Was the water pump replaced at the same time?

Has it had a new radiator (id recommend this when the head gaskets been done)

When exactly does it overheat? If its only when sat in traffic for long periods of time then it is more likely to be the rad fan or a blockage/air lock in the pipes - flush the coolant and check for blocks...

And like i said before if its got a s****y old rad on there get it changed if you do buy it!

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah cheers, i;m still tempted! the thing is, he's saying that it overheats after a 10 minute drive to the shops, but cools after going in and coming out. He mentioned something about smoke however (I'll have to double check what he said) He said he thinks it was airlock but it doesnt sound hopeful:S

Cheers

·
Registered
552 Posts
just be careful, could be VERY cheap for the reason to offload big trouble, there's thousands of cheap cars for sale, a few bargains, some decent buy's and many many more absolute dogs!- buyer beware!, doug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts