MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered above protective cap, which was sold as a cover for the hood - it has MG sign printed on - but has anybody got a picture of what it looks like when unfolded or on the car? The seller does not want to unpack it, as it is NOS in its original packaging.

I am thinking of buying it to protect my hood from cat paw prints and hair (Yes, it's his fav cosy place to rest :rolleyes:) , bird dropings and excessive rain when parked.

Cheers
Marcus

·
Registered
MG TF 135
31 Posts
MGOC Spares Shop were selling them for £25 a while ago, They are temporary transit protection for hood.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,017 Posts
Have one of these in the back of one of my 1996 F's - never used it but won't get rid of it just in case :p

·
Registered
MGF 75th Anniversary
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the answers so far. seems it's similar to the satur sunmate. the trouble is that the seller wants 75€ for it . think i got to haggle a bit

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn’t pay £7.50 for one, let alone €75 - genuine MG or not...

Reactions: MiNiKiN

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
937 Posts
thanks for the answers so far. seems it's similar to the satur sunmate. the trouble is that the seller wants 75€ for it . think i got to haggle a bit
I have Satur's Sunmate and it is great, very quick to install and covers the front edge of the hood and the top of the doors so no rain gets in, even in a driving wind rain storm. Looking at the picture markvrs posted, I'd much rather have the Sunmate.

·
Registered
MG TF 135
31 Posts
Hi, I have had a MS Sunmate for about 3 years and it works well. I have put new elastic on it twice as it looses its elasticity being out in all weathers. The best bit is you do not get condensation / mould underneath it as the wind can waft underneath it as it is not a full or half cover that attaches to the bodywork.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

I have one of these oem covers, comes in a bag with the MG logo on it and has the logo in the centre of the screen when fitted, as stated it fits much as the after market Sunmate cover does only with additional straps that hook under the wheel arches.

I used it for several years, over winter time but then one particular windy winter I noticed it had worn the edge of the front edge of the roof material and so I stopped using it.

It was useful on frosty days though when it meant you didn't have to scrape the windscreen - Although if it was a very hard frost then the boot lock would become frozen then you couldn't actually open it to remove the hood cover 😶.

As for the price I bought mine a few years ago for about £30 but I guess you aren't going to find another one new, old stock oem one these days and the Sunmate costs about the same as they're asking. My cars lived outside ever since I've had it and I find if you treat the hood once a year with a cleaner and proofer its fine as is, as long as you're using the car kind of regularly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts