MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without fitting a FMIC or getting the standard one gas flowed, whats the optimum boost pressure on an intercooled l-series?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention considering the ecu was remapped for say 130 bhp, any recomendations for boost pressure?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about chemical cooling? with an uprated intercooler and watercooling, do you think the L-series could stand up to 23psi? would the turbo be able to take it?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
As you increase boost pressure the turbo become less efficient so the intake charge becomes hotter. The fuel pump tops out at about 135BHP I think on the earlier engines so you'll not get any more boost that the amount of fuel the pump can supply.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
set mine to approx 18-19psi.

ETV is right, the vp37 and vp21 pumps have a maximum rating of 25-30Kw per cylinder which totals out around 135bhp.

What you'l need is a good mix of both air and fuel, so what i'd do, rather than try and hit a particular psi - id keep the remap and fuelling constant, and slowly take the turbo up and see if she gives black smoke, black smoke is semiburnt diesel which typically suggests not enough air to complete combustion.

·
Registered
rover_600
251 Posts
Oh, id better check mine then. Ive got a Tu1 and decat then increased the boost by 3 turns, but ive been too lazy to check with a mulimeter. Whats my optimum/safe limit? Chris.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
quick search will help -

but i'd start with the fundamentals, decat and air filter. won't improve too much but it's a starting point, a foundaiton to build on, plus fairly cheap.

Depending on what car you have you may want to add an intercooler, and up the fuelling and boost (or just up the boost if intercooler already fitted).

Then you might want to investigate in some injectors and a hybrid turbo, or even a more efficient intercooler.

Whilst doing this make sure your clutch, gearbox and brakes are keeping up.

Should keep you busy.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
remeber looking through turbo charts and graphs, and throught that around 20 psi would give the largest spread of air flow for revs, but as we dont really have lag problems, can run the max which was around 21-22psi. The stage 1 hybrids are told to be able to run 25-26, with the stage 2 being the same as they have the same bearings. Running around 21 psi may cause long term damage to the charger, but no one has proved it yet, but i do remember donny putting pics up of his old turbo, with cracks in the flanges etc. and i have just found out that my old standard turbo (which has been converted to a stage 2 hybrid) was also damaged on the exhaust side. I ran the std turbo around 22 psi for about 6-7 months so there could be probelms long term.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts