MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i'm new to the forum and would like some advice.

I've just found a ZR VVC, 51 plate only 25K on the clock for £3800! This seems an absolute bargain to me considering others i've looked at. They say its got full service history but i'm a bit dubious about the mileage, especially at that price. Its trade so should come with a HPi check i suppose which should verify the mileage shouldn't it?

Also, how reliable are the ZR VVC? I don't want to buy one and it break on me after a couple of months... i do have a heavy right foot!! What about fuel economy, how many miles can i expect to get from a full tank realistically? I know what the manufacturers claims are but these are always way out!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Hi boxer - welcome to the forum.

The best way to verify the service history is to contact the garage(s) and checked it against theuir records. Any old MOTs should help back-up the mileage.

The VVC unit is generally reliable but suffers from the usual weak head gasket and the VVC mechanisms can be problematic. But if the engine's looked after and coolant levels checked frequently, it should be fairly hassle-free.

P.S. The HPi report won't help verify the mileage - it will only check to see if the car's on any registers (if it's been subject to an insurance claim/repair etc), if there's any outstanding finance or fines on it or if it's registered as stolen.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
My car has done nearly 105,000 miles. The head gasket was changed at 85,000 and the mechs are still original. The engine gets a damn good pasting every day right up to red line, I don't drive like a granny. The engine runs spot on and all the mechs do is tick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies rlxs and ashy.

I must be confused then with the HPi check, i presumed that mileage was recorded on there somehow, must be thinking of something else!

How about fuel economy? Obviously it will depend on how its driven but at the moment in have a Citroen C4 VTR+ (company car) which is 2.0 litre and that drinks juice! I've done about 400 miles this week and its cost me £66 in fuel, think that works out to around 26 miles per gallon if i've done my maths right.... i'd hope the VVC wouldn't be worse than this! :(

·
Registered
521 Posts
Holy Pooh!!
400 miles for £66
I have a Vi which has done 71k and like ashy I use the VVC engine to it's potential (obviously on private roads!!) and it's great no problems at all just ticks which from what I've heard is pretty normal for the VVC system
I would say I average 35mpg from the Vi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
35mpg would be great if i could get that! I'm suprised with my company car at the moment because its not as if i'm thrashing it around everywhere. I'm not driving like a pensioner obviously but certainly nowhere near my usual standard of driving! :D

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
35mpg from a vi!? I only get 32 & mine's a 1.4!
It all depends where you drive and how you drive it.
I went on a gentle A-road drive into Wales with the mother the other day, averaging 45-50 mph and the needle hardly moved. Later that day however when I was back on the motorway cruising at 80mph-ish and using the revs coming off various roundabouts on the A5 around Shrewsbury, the needle dropped quite considerably. A 35 mile motorway journey seemed to use more fuel than the 80 mile round trip into Wales!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Unless it is 100% town driving the VVC is the most economical in real life of all of the K series engines.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Due to it's nature and the way the VVC engine works it makes the engine more economical under normal driving conditions. I was well surprised when I first got my Vi it would do more miles to a tenner then my 1.4 ever did. However on the flip side if you give it the beans everywhere that power has got to come from something and she can be a thirsty beast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts