MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the French use so much loctite on various engine nuts and bolts?

Was undoing this one yesterday on a 406 DW10 TD for a cambelt change and the ******* thing snapped!

Fortunately, we have a little jig/mandrel and cobalt drills to drill out the broken section and retap the thread, worked a treat but sure had me worried for a couple of hours.....

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
seen it done on a Rover many times, although not snapping the bolt but stripping the thread completely both on the bolt and the hole it came out of.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just installing my Speedfit air ring main in the workshop,to enable me to snap off more crank bolts! :lol:

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rigid plastic John Guest Speedfit compressed air pipe - running at 150psi - it's good kit.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
150 PSI!!!

At work we only run 80 PSI.

We use mainly Nylon at work, its pretty rigid, and a right git to work with coz it likes nothing more to coil off, then unravel properly.

For panel building we use a very flexible pipe, not really anygood if its unprotected, but in SS panels its excellent.

We are now beginning to start using pushfits a bit more, copper fittings are still preferred though, using proper olives, so they dont just cut through the pipe.

At the moment, a large air main is being run in our new workshop, using 25mm conduit with top facing outlets after every 3 meter length!!!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Oh thats good.

This bloody nylon stuff uncoils like a spring.

You have to have two of ya working it, otherwise it just nots. Bloody stuff.

150PSi, thats a big old pressure, how comes you need to run that high??

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should run a pressure regulator (I will get one, promise!) but I'm just using tank pressure......right out of the tank.

Got a speed/torque control on the gun, so it's no problem when I need to tone it down a little.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
A regulator is the easiest/safest way to tone it down.

How do you get rid of moisture, is it all handled by the compressor??

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drain tap on the comp, but I will invest in an auto-drain water trap sometime in the future.....need to keep an eye out on ebay I think!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi,

Major Ingram said:
Why do the French use so much loctite on various engine nuts and bolts?

Was undoing this one yesterday on a 406 DW10 TD for a cambelt change and the ******* thing snapped!

Fortunately, we have a little jig/mandrel and cobalt drills to drill out the broken section and retap the thread, worked a treat but sure had me worried for a couple of hours.....

did you try running that bolt out with an air gun straight away or did you start it with a ratcher/breaker bar?

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Major Ingram said:
Rigid plastic John Guest Speedfit compressed air pipe - running at 150psi - it's good kit.

Polyethylene (PE) then. Good stuff, this is what Transco use for gas pipes. Fecking good stuff!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neil F said:
did you try running that bolt out with an air gun straight away or did you start it with a ratcher/breaker bar?

Cheers

Neil
Nope....all the way out with a gun, done it hundreds of times before with no problems.

Next time I would do it with a HOT engine, I think this would loosen the loctite somewhat.

It's happened to others before, I'm sure it'll happen again one day!

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cjmillsnun said:
Polyethylene (PE) then. Good stuff, this is what Transco use for gas pipes. Fecking good stuff!
Yeah, and easy to cut and couple up aswell...

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Ive been to one of Transcos LNG storage facilities.

Bl00dy mad it is.

Like walking around a sodding great bomb!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts