MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

For the past few weeks the water expansion bottle has been pretty sh**ty, I stupidly left it for a while, and today I finally got round to taking the bottle off and emptying it to clean it out. When I tipped the 'water' out, it was pretty much a sh*t coloured sludge. The water had a lot of dirty oil in! The hose was pi**ing out green water it was a horrible sight! Just wondering if the head gasket may have caused this oil to get in the water system? The car isn't over heating, always sits under half way on the temp gauge, only smokes when first started in the morning, and the fan hardly ever has to kick in. So either the head gasket is on its way out, or the previous owner had it replaced, but didn't replace the water? :err:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
547 Posts
If you catch it early maybe it wont cost too much. I hear from other members that Lates is great value although he's a distance away from you. I'd like to start using him too next time I need some work doing.

I would suggest a pressure test or the 'sniffer' test. Basically it looks for engine gasses escaping through your coolant loop. Doesn't cost much to do and would confirm one way or the other.

Sorry to hear of the problem and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts