MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

may be a weird question, but what are the current oldest surviving 600's?

Are there many K reg's left? L's?

Kev :smile:

·
Registered
710 Posts
So many old 600's were taken up by the scrappage scheme they ran after the financial collapse of 2008.

There was a really nice looking 600 on ebay recently being auctioned with a reserve on it; the highest bid was just over £100 and it didn't sell.

Certainly getting rare on the roads now. Damn, but there are some ugly cars and some bland cars now in production. There are not many cars around that turn my head for a second look.

B

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know - I see the odd one or two, infact I saw a lovely blue/green metallic one on either the m5 or m6 yesterday (cant remember which) when I was driving north..

I only ask about the oldest ones as I am picking up an August reg'd L plate one next month..

and you are right, not many nice looking cars on the road anymore.. Its good to see a Rover - good on the eye.. :)

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,415 Posts
I know - I see the odd one or two, infact I saw a lovely blue/green metallic one on either the m5 or m6 yesterday (cant remember which) when I was driving north..

I only ask about the oldest ones as I am picking up an August reg'd L plate one next month..

and you are right, not many nice looking cars on the road anymore.. Its good to see a Rover - good on the eye.. :)
That means you will get InfraRed fobs with her.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
Looking up a few early 600 registration numbers I have, there was a very early serial number K plate 623 still taxed and MOTed until last year. Originally registered in February 1993, K623 BWK (serial number 100199). As the WK in the registration number represented Coventry licencing centre, and on such an early serial number; might this have been originally one of Rovers' own vehicles?

The MOT ran out in August 2016, and it is currently SORN. The last MOT was a clean pass with no advisories (although there had been advisories for "Vehicle structure has slight corrosion" in 2013 and 2014). Might just be parked up? or possibly sat in a breakers :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool - good to see there are some early examples still about.. and low milers too..

btw - we should have a 600 "meet" sometime.. :)

·
Registered
rover_600
1 Posts
Oldest 600?

K623BWK is still very much alive and on the road. I purchased the car in mid-December 2018 and have had various work undertaken to it, including new rear wheel arches and rubbers, period correct tyres, a replacement stereo (a Rover replacement had been fitted but I found one that was as originally fitted to the car) along with a few minor parts and consumables. I think the car might be the last surviving one from the very first batch that Rover registered in February 1993.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
That's good to know. With care and love, it should be safe for a bit yet then. I have a list (incomplete) of 600 registration/VIN numbers, and yours was the earliest VIN that came up as still taxed or SORN at the time I checked.

I keep a bit of a check on ZRs (particularly Monogram colour ones) and it is disappointing that cars which become SORN, when next checked upon very often come up as scrapped.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm curious about your comment re "period correct tyres"; have tyre specs changed since 1993?

I first drove a 600 about 1995, they were used as company cars by the firm I worked for, and I really liked them. Back in 2004, I bought the S reg 620SLi I am still running today for just £1450. It passed it's MoT last month, costing me just £2.50 for a rubber boot.

I think the early cars had the 8 valve engine, which I think had a bit more torque at low revs than the later 16V models, but may have been more restricted at higher revs?

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts