MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hope your well. Im in the market for an AustinRover Mini as a 2nd motor, and am a little concerned regarding the fuel issue. Wondered in anyone had any idea from what year on they could take unleaded fuel? Also i believe the A series in the earlier ones could take unleaded but required some adjustment, just wondered if anyone knows what adjustment would be required?

Cheers

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well I can say from 1988 for sure as I had one then that ran on unleaded. As you say they can have head work done for unleaded but have you thought about an additive instead.

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thought about an additive but I may be using it for a motorway run now and again and would prefer to have it sorted for unleaded or if its a biggish job will prob stick to 1 after 88 is thats when they changed over to unleaded compliance, thanks for that

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
i used to use an aditive on my old a-series metro(same engine as mini) i think you can get your head converted to unleaded for less than £100 and the cost of aditives soon mount up at £5~ a bottle. but anything after 1990 should almost definatly be unleaded.
my 1988 was leaded.

G

·
Worth getting hold of a copy of Practical Classics- there are plenty on companies in there who can convert any A series to unleaded for less than 150 quid. £30 worth of gaskets and you are done.

Whilst a 1988 onward Mini may be unleaded, the older ones have more character. £200 worth of conversion work means that you are not restricted in your choice of car.

Is that your TR7 convertible yours as well? I've had two - the second with a tuned Sprint engine at about 140bhp.

·
Registered
mg_zs
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right thanks for that, really havent got time for the hassle though so will probably try and go for 1 after 1990 if this is roughly the date its gonna be unleaded friendly because there seem to be a few conflicting reports. Yeah it was my TR7, sold it now though. Very nice motors though.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My 1985 Mini has been running on unleaded since I bought it 9 years ago. I fitted a 'Broquet' fuel catalyst, as I thought it was worth giving it a go and seeing if it worked. There has been quite a lot of debate about fuel catalysts, but mine has done 20,000 miles (mostly urban) since fitting (70,000+ altogether) and the engine is in excellent condition :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.