MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought of this the other day when I drove-past the now dormant CD Bramall MG-Rover dealership in Newcastle-Under-Lyme. There are a few of old dealerships local to me that have now closed but used to be thriving and I have been thinking of taking a few photos and putting them up here.

It's surprising to think how many there once were.

Has anyone got any pictures of their old dealerships and what they look like now?

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
Nope but I could get some... my old dealers details are:

Harewood Leeds - Boarded up and moved
Clemo - still trading
Dixon Bradford - Used car outlet
JCT600 Wakefield - Chrysler Dodge Jeep
Midlothian Huddersfield - Arnold Clark Used Car Centre
Farnells - Sunwin Mazda

Going back further:

Gledhills of Ossett - Used car centre (still looked like an old Rover dealer)
J C Bates Brighouse- Used car centre (again looks like an old Rover dealer)
Perrys Huddersfield - Perrys Vauxhall
Bristol Street Leeds - demolished
Appleyard Leeds - Now Evans Halshaw Peugeot/Renault/Hyundai/MG Rover Servicing
Appleyard Wakefield - Posh flats
Appleyard Hemsworth - Flats
Perrys Dewsbury - Carpet centre + Food outlet
Central Garage Mirfield - Coop
Humberstones Morley - closed (maybe demolished now)
Fletchers Leeds - demolished - flats I think
Sunwin Halifax - DYL Used cars
Sunwin Pudsey - Used cars
Sunwin Keighley - no idea but its closed
Halifax Autocars - used car centre or was

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Palmsville (called Phoenix for the last year or so) Muswell hill... the land its sitting on is worth a bloody fortune but its just been left to get mouldy. Signs are still up and everything. Was one of the oldest car dealers in Britain iirc.

Then there was Mann Egerton Whetstone which is Audi now... closed yonks back before MG-R though.

Easy to get pics from my phone.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,907 Posts
This is what the dealership I've used for many years looked like shortly before April 2005. The Wicliffe sites in Gloucester and Stroud were sold on last summer and is now devoid of any MG or Rover content ... Mainly Nissan ....:(

I used Wicliffe's since the 1960s, my father for some years before then. They had branches in Cheltenham, Gloucester, Stroud and even Tewkesbury back in the 1970-80s. Maybe elsewhere too ~ Now all gone.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
3,848 Posts
Friersgate Tamworth is now derelict and the site is for sale for development, I'll try and get pics.

Friersgate lichfield is now tempest ford but still service MG-R and have an MG-R parts department.

Colliers erdington closed down for quite a while but now re-opened as a Honda dealership. Again they still have an MG-R parts department though but i dont think the service or repair MG-R's anymore.

MG-R Walsall became Kia and now closed down and MG-R halesowen was borded up and for sale when i drove past while at work a few months back.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
3,848 Posts
Why is it you can tell an Ex MG-R dealership from a mile off? Even under new franchise's. All the buildings are styled exactly the same.

·
Registered
965 Posts
County Garage in Barnstaple, Devon, that was Austin Rover, Rover LDV and Land Rover is now County Land Rover and County Mazda, sharing the same showroom. they still do MG Rover parts and service though

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Hi Liam
I do not wish to hyjack your post, but surely a pertinent question is to ask which Ex MGR Garages are still servicing MGRs, hopefully still retaining the MGR trained technicians.
Days of Fleet in N.Hampshire are still advertising this service. Tel.No. 01252 613303.
I now use Sewards Ex MGR in Christchurch Bournemouth W.Dorset Tel No 01425 282444
Regards
M

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
My MGR garage in Kettering has now changed to Nissan, but I did go by this little ex-MGR dealership (now Ford) in Machynlleth, Wales. http://www.hgjones.co.uk/motomg.html
They still had an old Austin Showroom with classic cars inside, as though it was a reminder of better times. For some reason I didn't take any pics inside the garage!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Liam
I do not wish to hyjack your post, but surely a pertinent question is to ask which Ex MGR Garages are still servicing MGRs, hopefully still retaining the MGR trained technicians.
Days of Fleet in N.Hampshire are still advertising this service. Tel.No. 01252 613303.
I now use Sewards Ex MGR in Christchurch Bournemouth W.Dorset Tel No 01425 282444
Regards
M
Well Martyn, first of all I would direct you to this site:

http://www.xpartautoservicecentre.com/RVEa9e9d9e4f46a4323b8443382a341cc2a,,.aspx

Secondly, that topic has been quite frequently covered on this site if you do a search, I want to know what has become of the Rover dealers of old. :)

If we could all post more pictures as well guys, that would be great. :) I was going to post some up yesterday but unfortunately I forgot my camera, so now it will be Thursday.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great photos there Mattie.

Whilst we were in Wales we stopped off in Barmouth, where there is/was Bradbury's Rover dealership that still had the MG Rover logos up and an abundance of used cars, as well as a fully functioning repair facility. I was very surprised to see it still going to be honest, especially with all the Rover livery still up, it did look to be a very well established dealership before the collapse so that might be why. They must have sold loads of Rovers because they were everywhere.

On the way back we stopped off in Dolgellau which was just down the road and their recovery vehicles were everywhere so they were obviously keeping themselves busy.

The showroom only had Hondas though, a bit like our local dealership which still has MG/Rover signage but sells new Mazdas instead.

Wish I would have got pics now...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
An interesting article here from the Express and Star with a prominent (albeit small) picture of the former Charles Clark Rover dealership which has been closed and boarded up since the BMW days.

I'll try and get some better pictures when I can, though people can feel free to beat me to it if they wish!

http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/12/13/proud-areas-now-chapel-trash/

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Luffield seem to be doing very well as a Citroën dealer with Xpart servicing for MGR cars.

Chris, I keep thinking I'll have a look at the MGR servicing unit by the Total garage to your left and behind you on "this" side of the road as seen from that angle, as I wonder where Luffield will display the new LE500.

MInd you, it now says in Luffield's own advert on the back of MGE magazine that they will be taking orders in Feb for delivery in March.

As for "all dealerships look the same", Clarks of Narborough (CD Bramall) had a very reassuring feel of offering top quality service from a complex of Nissen huts! I expect they're being built on now...

I count 54 dealers. If each one gets a demonstrator, that leaves only 446 LEs for us to buy "new at first registration"...does it?

S

·
0 Posts
Chris, I keep thinking I'll have a look at the MGR servicing unit by the Total garage to your left and behind you on "this" side of the road as seen from that angle, as I wonder where Luffield will display the new LE500.
Not sure what Luffield is doing with those units. The display of cars over there will be away from the public eyes.

They have moved the Xpart service reception back over to the main building.

·
Registered
36,458 Posts
Not sure what Luffield is doing with those units. The display of cars over there will be away from the public eyes.

They have moved the Xpart service reception back over to the main building.
Thanks for the info.

I couldn't see Luffield reinforcing their position as arguably MG's premier dealer by selling LE 500s from a lockup!

Those units used to be the secret hideout of the Men who Knew. "My ZS bumper is wobbly, is that normal?" sort of thing...

·
Registered
rover_75
1,684 Posts
My Rover came from Lookers in Bradford. I still have the original receipts, original logoed numberplates, the tax disc holder, the leather service binder, the Rover wipes, the Rover pen, and the complimentary foot mat with the Lookers logo on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts