MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
The undertaking law makes sense as well, its dangerous. Though forcing people to look to their left & indicating when coming back in might be a good thing :)

I was unaware of any difference in law regarding undertaking, but it did seem generally chaotic on motorways over there

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I don't know if i'd agree with it either, I would from my point of veiw driving my car, though some people are downright dangerous at 70 let alone letting them go quicker! :yikes:

I agree with the undertaking law too, and they should batter anyone sticking in the middle lane too!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Has anyone actually been given an FPN for doing 85 on the motorway?

I think that because there is an unofficial limit higher than the posted one the authorities don't see the need to increase it.

I guess people want the official limit to rise to 85 do they can get away with around 100??

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
There should be a minimum speed limit for norma conditions. Those people who drive at 55 are downright dangerous. If its a lorry you're coming up to you expect it to be going slow, but with a car you can be on top of it before you realise how slowly it going.

I'd like a higher upper limit, but on the proviso that its actually enforced...

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
I think the speed limit should be left alone, because in the UK there are very few roads where it would be safe to increase it. I have a different perspective on this to most as I drive a classic car quite a lot of the time. Most classics simply couldn't cope with an increased limit on busy congested motorways where people are trying to push along. Add to this group, Van drivers, lorry driver's, some MPV's, etc and you soon realise there are actually a number of vehicles that would struggle with increased speeds. Large vans for example are restricted to 55 mph. My classic isn't bad and is good for 80-85, but most people do this anyway, and it's a problem when trying to overtake slow moving vans only to be blocked into the first lane by most of the traffic which is doing 90!

The thing is if you raise the top speed then people will just abuse it as much as they do the current speed. Except instead of doing 100 some will do 110.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Has anyone actually been given an FPN for doing 85 on the motorway?

I think that because there is an unofficial limit higher than the posted one the authorities don't see the need to increase it.

I guess people want the official limit to rise to 85 do they can get away with around 100??
That's my thinking too, i'll admit to traveling 85 at times, though more to keep with the flow of traffic, as you say making the limit 85 would then make 100 look 'acceptable'.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Most classics simply couldn't cope with an increased limit on busy congested motorways where people are trying to push along. Add to this group, Van drivers, lorry driver's, some MPV's, etc and you soon realise there are actually a number of vehicles that would struggle with increased speeds. Large vans for example are restricted to 55 mph. My classic isn't bad and is good for 80-85, but most people do this anyway, and it's a problem when trying to overtake slow moving vans only to be blocked into the first lane by most of the traffic which is doing 90!
Remember it is a speed LIMIT, not a minimum speed.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll be honest i just get bored doing 70 on the Motorway. So raising it to 85 is Fine. But Think it should be Inforced. Otherwise as someone else said It will make 100mph seem exceptable.
So maybe tougher penalty's for over 100mph??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts