MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After your very helpful replies the other night, my girlfriend is now the very proud owner of an MGF (will post pics soon).
What a great car! She spends her time looking at it, I spend my time driving like a loon...
A few little things that need 'adjusting' and she'll be perfect. I alreasy have light assembly seals on order...
It's probably around this place somewhere, but if you want to flex your knowledgable muscle;
1. When raising nearside window the top pops out over the hood. Is this just a case of fiddling with the catch as read? A colleague of mine had a newer F and he thought it had 'guides'. Are we missing these do you think?
2. Dash has 'swollen'. Where the dash below the MG badge meets the centre heater vent the plastic has risen and we have a gap a coupla inches long above the vent. Anybody else seen this? It can be pushed down but it seems warped.
3. We have a hardtop. It doesn't seem to fit! If it's snug at the front there's a big gap at the front. This leads to...
4. I've removed the carpets and insulation- any ideas how to get the musty smell out?!!
5. How do you post pics? Ahem...

Thankyou chaps and chapettes,
Dave.

P.S. What a great car!

G

·
No advice - just congratulations on the new addition to your lives!!!! May your F bring you much joy, many grins and lots of fun memories.....!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,295 Posts
I only asked as the HT’s with little badges were sold by Heritage and depending who made them they are notoriously ill fitting.

Have you had a go at just refitting the HT as its possible to not fit it correctly creating a gap at the front?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
The degree of window `lift` is controlled by plastic `stops` in the door frame.

Its quite common for these stops to break allowing the window to travel to high, ie past the roof seals instead of meeting them.

The window stops only cost pence and is a DIY job to replace......... if a little fiddly and time consuming!.... search the archives and somewhere there is a link to show you, with pictures, exactly how to replace!!

Never seen a dash like you describe so could only say replace!!.

Carpets are not exactly the best quality (or fit) money can buy so just bin them and get a set from a breakers (Try `Rover Breakers`) should only cost around £50 tops...

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Dont know where you live but!!.........

I have in my garage a full set of `F` carpets, ie passenger and drivers side (they come in two pieces), you can have them free if you can collect!.
No smells but there is a small hole in the drivers side one where the pedals are!!.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why, thankyou Andie B!
Chris- when the lady bought it round she had fitted the HT and completely missed the N/S catch. I clamped it properly but it seemed to have a big gap at the rear of the window. So much so that I took it off and pulled the hood up as it was less leaky!
I'll try it again if it's a dry weekend and see how we get on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmn, I live on the Isle of Wight. Coming down this way bud?! Couldn't bring a new boot carpet with you, could you?!!
I'd gladly pay for them to be sent down, but tell you what, I'm up to the mainland over the next month. I'll check my diary on Tuesday. :)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
The Black Baron said:
Hmn, I live on the Isle of Wight. Coming down this way bud?! Couldn't bring a new boot carpet with you, could you?!!
I'd gladly pay for them to be sent down, but tell you what, I'm up to the mainland over the next month. I'll check my diary on Tuesday. :)
There is a BIG MG event on next month (weekend of the 24th???) at Silverstone...

Well worth you making the trip as all the F/TF merchants will be there so you can get everthing you need.

I will be there so if you can make it let me know and will bring the carpets with me!!

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Cant you just take out the carpets and wash/bleach whatever them, let them dry, then replace them?

ALso you may want to give the INSIDE of the softop a good wipe over with a mild bleach solution. I do mine a few times ayear to get rid of mold spots, so again should help with the must smell.

Of course, just drive around all day with your hood down and you dont need to worry about musty smells :naughty:

Congrats and welcome.

G

·
Just a wee point for when you eventually get the hardtop sorted - the back of the hardtop sits way above the back of the car anyway, it doesn't sit flush with the bodywork. Must be around almost fingerwidth of space between my hardtop and boot.

Black Baron, as you are on the IoW, I guess you come under the South Coast area for the F Register....as a rep I'm always chasing possible new members ;) ....pop over to the F Register board to get an idea of what goes on in our little MG world!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts