MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have read some threads on the BBS about people oil temp showing up as different temps to others and getting a bit worried.
I have a 1999 VVC with K&N fitted and my oil temp shows at about 120 when warmed up and driving at about 3000 revs. Is this ok as I want to be confident in all areas.

Thanks=P

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
120 degrees when fully warm seems OK to me....this is comparable to other MGF's I have driven:)

There is no additional oil cooler; given the mid-mounting of the MGF Engine, I would expect it to run hotter than a conventional front mounted engine8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,
You know how it is when you have a new car and you are getting used to all the gadgets and that.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
And remember, the oil temp guage is only an indicator....it's not a calibrated instrument as many people 'expect' fuel and temperature gauges to be>=( >=(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you always have to allow for slight (can we say) mistakes from the gauges. After all they are only there for an idea.
Just look at petrol gauges for instance, if you are on a slope or something simliar the gauge will read slighly out, so I suppose the Oil and Water gauges have the same sort of problems.
Thats my bit anyway! :eyes

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
As I said, in-car guages are only to be taken as 'indicators'

They are not calibrated instruments ??? and never will be!!

Some cars are a little more 'accurate' than others, as I found years ago when driving Dad's Sierra........when I ran out of petrol when the guage just touched the red sector.

I've never trusted a fuel gauge ever since!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts