MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had my oil changed on my 75 and can't reset the oil service counter using the method described in the HAynes manual.

Does anyone in the Leeds area have a service reset tool they could reset the counter with for me?

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If all else fails if you go to Lofthouse (on the Leeds to Wakefield road) there is a Bosch service centre and petrol station, they can reset the light or have a mobile auto electrician do it for you.

Used to live in Rothwell and then Lofthouse but cant remember the road numbers i used to direct people by pub name :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've just had my oil changed on my 75 and can't reset the oil service counter using the method described in the HAynes manual.

Does anyone in the Leeds area have a service reset tool they could reset the counter with for me?
Have you tried the paperclip method? It works as I have done it on my facelift which I sold and on my 03 one I now have.

If you get stuck pop over to mine and I will have a go for you as I am only at Kippax!:broon:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thats brings back memories, also sticking my tongue on the end of a zx spectrum power supply, and burning my thumb with the cig lighter in my Mums Metro so you had a brown circle print.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thats brings back memories, also sticking my tongue on the end of a zx spectrum power supply, and burning my thumb with the cig lighter in my Mums Metro so you had a brown circle print.
The last two posts just show the high level of intelect that most members of this forum have!:daft:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all very helpful but I think I'll leave out licking cig lighters!!!

I tried using paperclips but gave up after the umpteenth attempt.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks, all very helpful but I think I'll leave out licking cig lighters!!!

I tried using paperclips but gave up after the umpteenth attempt.
Well it does work, it's all about the timing after switching on the ignition.

The offer is there still if you want to giv it a go.

Simon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Simon, I'd take you up on your offer but I won't be able to get over to Kippax till Sunday now.

Jason
No problem, come when you want mate. My pc is pretty much on most of the time and I will be online or near pc Sunday if you want to give it a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a guy on e-bay who sells an e-zee reset tool. It's a kind of superior spaced paperclip with electrickery bits encased in plastic. it comes with easy-to-follow full instructions and photo's and is simple to use. I bought one and it's great, cost £8.50+pp-£10 in all. Well worth it in my opinion.

CJ

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the kind offers of help guys. I'll try to drop you a line on Sunday Simon.

Dr. Dave - My missus will be demanding her 'quality time together' which usually means supervising the nippers 'chimps teaparty' never mind having fun at Cosford!!

·
Registered
72 Posts

Hi Mate

what you need to know also is that if your mileage is showing (at time of service) say 14,800 miles it won't reset until it has reached just below 14k miles. It needs to be for some reason 1000 miles between resets.

Thanks

Giuseppe

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
It took me a few attempts too.

Just make sure you've got the right pins in the connector, a couple of paperclips (and to touch the two together striaght after turning the iginition on and then count in terms of elephants for the necessary no. of seconds).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for all the kind offers of help guys. I'll try to drop you a line on Sunday Simon.

Dr. Dave - My missus will be demanding her 'quality time together' which usually means supervising the nippers 'chimps teaparty' never mind having fun at Cosford!!
Ifyou do I have made a switch unit to make it even easier to get the timings right.

Simon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts