MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 1996 F is a second car, so sometimes is not used for a while. I had the (possibly) bright idea of using the unused HRW switch to isolate the fuel pump so with the HRW switch off, I could spin the engine over without the car starting when it's been standing a while, to get some oil pressure before starting. However somebody who should know reckons this is not necessary with modern(ish) engines.
Anybody have any thoughts? Is it even possible, or is there a better way? Also, I've always liked having an oil pressure gauge. Has anybody fitted one? What make?
Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,586 Posts
I really don't think it will make the slightest difference. The oil pressure takes only a couple of secondsa to build up on starting, and oil will be circulating through the system within a blink of an eye after that. You are likely to cause just as much wear by winding the engine over without starting as would occur from immediate start-up (negligible either way).

·
Registered
mgf
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't think it will make the slightest difference. The oil pressure takes only a couple of secondsa to build up on starting, and oil will be circulating through the system within a blink of an eye after that. You are likely to cause just as much wear by winding the engine over without starting as would occur from immediate start-up (negligible either way).
Thanks Ian, rather to my surprise that seems to be the consensus. I suppose modern oils are not like Duckhams 20-50.
Whilst on the site I would like to heartily recommend Russell of MG Rover.com, mobile mechanic based in Borough Green Kent. Top bloke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts