MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok , goin away for the weekend tommoro , cars set to do a few hundred miles , so today i was checkin everything as you do. oil was low , not much above the low markin. i topped up with oil and it still said same , didi it again , then put a tiny bit more in , and dipstick was still readin same. worried encase i put to much in so ive left it. Is there any reason why the dipstick wouldnt register right any ideas , oh and 214 si

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Run the engine up to warm, then switch off and allow to sit for half an hour, then check.

Is the car on level ground???

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point it is up one a kerb , woops , ill shift it and run it for a bit lol, done that , took it off the kerb m forgot the side of the road dips at edge so either way it isnt 100% even , but ive done this before and it hasnt been a problem , leavin it for half an hour now

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe but even if it is , it isnt exactly flat now , not far off like. the dipstick was unbolted of engine when i did thermostat, i only unbolted the top bit , i didnt remove it , wonder if this has anythin to do with it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, don't overfill it!!! I did that once when topping up under street lights.
Couldn't see the nice new gold oil on the dipstick so kept putting it in until I thought maybe that is quite a lot now.
Started car up, loads of white smoke!!! And it was booked in for a MOT the next day. Had to cancel that cos the oil would probably make it fail on emissions!
Had to get the boyfriend out to drain the oil except the drain plug was clamped shut and would not open. Eventually he had to get it out the top using an oversized pipette type thing - took ages. Then had to thrash the car a lot to burn off the oil that was in places it shouldn't be or something.
Anyway do not overfill it!!!!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Did you run it and let it stand for half hour???

If you look at the level too quickly after switching the engine off, most of the oil is still in the oil ways and galleries. Again, it takes time to drain back into the sump.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aye its been half an hour like , ill just leave another hour or so. then if in doubt illl find a cliff and persuade it off the edge

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yer im tepmted just to put the rest of this bottle in like. i cant see what else to do as there are still no visible leaks. wouldnt be so bad if i wasnt leavin like tommoro mornin ,

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Whether the cam cover or camshaft seals are leaking is irrelevant if he's not running the car.
The oil will drain straight to the sump and not have chance to leak out anywhere.

Make sure your dipstick is properly in the tube. It only takes about half a litre to go from min to max.
If it is in properly then keep adding the oil. Add the oil when the engine is stone cold. If you run it then you will get a fasle reading.
Put the oil in and wait a few minutes each time. When it's just below max then leave it for a good 10-15 minutes. This will give time for ALL the oil to drain down to the sump.
Check the dipstick again and add if necessary add a little by little following the procedure above until at max.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ashy, i wasnt meaning that the oil was leaking from the cam shaft seals nor cover.

I wanted to know if the oil was disappering through the oil gallerires or for some strange reason, gathering on the top side of the head

Want i meant by "is the oil leaking down the back of the sump" to see if the dipstik was properly secured.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
nebburns said:
Ashy, i wasnt meaning that the oil was leaking from the cam shaft seals nor cover.

I wanted to know if the oil was disappering through the oil gallerires or for some strange reason, gathering on the top side of the head

Want i meant by "is the oil leaking down the back of the sump" to see if the dipstik was properly secured.
Ah I see said the blind man....;)

Is there any oil under the car on the ground?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts