MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you lot, another day, another adventure with my beautiful ZR 160. She's a marvel no question, but there has been an issue bothering me these past weeks. She seemed to loose oil, I was unsure over where it came from but I soon found out where it came from -or so I thought. The oil was definitely dripping from top to bottom, it even reach the gearbox housing. On the picture attached you can see a little pond of oil on top of the camshaft cover. Cleaned it a couple of times before driving, there was always oil on there afterwards and since fluids can't travel from bottom to top (from what I know) I assumed it was the camshaft cover gasket. Cleaned it yesterday, I also used a fluid gasket below and on top of the actual gasket. Let the fluid gasket dry, after a few hours I went for a drive, she started dripping again. Usually that's a good thing with girls but in this case it's really annoying me. Does anyone or did anyone encounter the same issue? I'm open and grateful for any tips regarding the matter.

Have a great week boys and girls and take care!

Noah

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,464 Posts
The cam cover gasket has a soft black elastomeric coating all over it, which serves as the seal against the oil. If the cam cover gasket is leaking it needs to be replaced with a brand new gasket, fitted dry. It should not need any extra sealant or liquid gasket.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,869 Posts
At both ends of the 2 cam-shafts. Look first at the cam end near to where the oil leak can be seen. Have a look at this how to I did:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At both ends of the 2 cam-shafts. Look first at the cam end near to where the oil leak can be seen. Have a look at this how to I did:

Phew so I better think twice about accessing the seals.. I appreciate the help. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts