MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently changed the distributor and rotor arm on a Rover 200 99 Reg, and discovered a minor oil leak from where the distributor shaft comes out of the block. Although the oil was not near any of the contacts I would prefer to do something about it. I take it this must just be a seal? Is it easy to change?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are there any signs of oil leaking from anywhere else? I used to have a volvo 340 with a renault 1.7 engine, and oil got into the dizzy on that too.

The cause was a blocked oil trap in the sump breather pipe. There was sufficient pressure build up due to blow by to blow oil through the seals. It was actually coming out of several other places too.
I've never heard of this happening to any other vehicle, but its easy to test. Remove the oil filler cap and place your hand over it, there will be a pressure build up. Oddly, we found that at idle you could get a vacuum, i have no idea how (anyone know?). Anyhow either way pressure or suction will prove a blockage in the breather. In this case it was very obvious, but then the engine was old and worn.

I don't know where the k series is vented or whether it would be susceptible to this problem, but i though it might be worth a check before you go through the hassle of changing the seals.

Good luck

Will

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick question about fitment, the rover 200 haynes manual recommends applying some oil to seal yet the Rover 25/MGZR haynes manual says to fit the seal dry?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
well oil is going to come in contact with it anyway, so to create a better seal i would apply a thin smear

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
DEFINATELY! IF you install the seal dry, you risk damaging the seal lips when you fit it and the seal can then get damaged as it initally runs dry when the engine is restarted.

I always oil the seal and it's corresponding shaft and I load the rear groove of the seal with LM grease. Habit, I guess!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts