MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone could tell me what oil rover recommend using as standard for this car ?

Normal Mineral ?
Semi-synthetic ?

Would be great if I knew tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
On the back of the bottle it should mention the standards the oil meets. To be honest any decent brand 10w/40 semi-synthetic will do.

I think at least one of the brand Eurocarparts sell (maybe Titan or something similar?) actually says MG Rover approved on the back.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
its the mininum specification of oil required they all have these specs on the back of the oil container when you purchase but id go for atleast a semi synthectic that is 10w/40, mobil 1 is fully synthectic very good oil but quite expensive

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
as i said this is whats quoted in the owners manual and it does quote different oils for each mark due to difference in performance.

·
Registered
356 Posts
So what is acea a2 ?

And what for a Rover (not MG) that isn't going to be driven hard ?
ACEA is the European Automotive Assosciation. A bit like SAE (Society of Automobile Engineers).

A2 is one of their standards for oil, and is quoted on the bottles, along with a variety of other specs.

·
Registered
616 Posts
as i said this is whats quoted in the owners manual and it does quote different oils for each mark due to difference in performance.
IIRC all KV6 engines in 75/ZT are happy on the same oil, except the 190 spec which does require a higher spec, mainly due to cam loadings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I got desperate enough to look in halfords today, and notice they list it as semi synthetic. They also say 5.8l where I thought I read on here 5.2l.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
840 Posts
10w-40 semi, or if you want to treat it a 5w-40 synthetic. Any premium brand is ideal.

Cheers

Guy.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Yes, semi is correct for the K4 engine.

Changing 6 monthly is a nice thing to do as well.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Then I probably wouldn't bother with the 6 monthly change.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Then I probably wouldn't bother with the 6 monthly change.
I used to live in London where cars have low miles but a hard life so it has become a habit also for an extra £20 when I am Spending £180 on 2 tyres it seems worth it even if it probably is a bit excessive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts