MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a silly thing! Changed oil in cars for years and years. Drained oil in Mg ZT yesterday then discovered couldn't get oil filter apart, lack of correct sized socket. Two questions 1 Can I still change filter without draining oil from car, does the oil level drop when engine not running or will it pour out of filter casing? and 2 What size socket is required to remove top of filter casing?

Many Thanks

NevB

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Oil filter

Did a silly thing! Changed oil in cars for years and years. Drained oil in Mg ZT yesterday then discovered couldn't get oil filter apart, lack of correct sized socket. Two questions 1 Can I still change filter without draining oil from car, does the oil level drop when engine not running or will it pour out of filter casing? and 2 What size socket is required to remove top of filter casing?

Many Thanks

NevB
Need 38mm socket. The oil you put in will all be in the sump. If you haven't started the car then the dirty oil in the filter will have stayed there. It circulates with the oil pump. Even if you have started the car the oil in the filter is only a small proportion of the total so I would not worry, the dirt is held in the filter medium which you will throw away.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Yeah, I'm 99% certain it is a 36mm socket as I use my driveshaft nut socket for this very job.

You can change the element at a later date with no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts