MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Oh Deer!

Yes, you guessed it; I met Bambi's suicidal brother a few weeks back.

I was driving to work down a country road in Sunny Cornwall at about 60, and he jumped clean over a hedge RIGHT in front of me, I'd hit him before I even got to brake.

After checking the deer wasn't suffering, I inspected the front of my '03 plate 75 and was amazed at the amount of damage inflicted...

...There virtually wasn't any!

In fact all it needed to get through it's first MOT two days later was an indicator bulb and a new front numberplate (plus some silver tape to cover the cracks in the bumper).

The lights are fine, the bodywork isn't even marked, all it needs is a new bumper and some of the lower grille sections.

My question is: Anyone got any tips as to where to buy the bumper, how easy a DIY repair might be, cost of respray etc.

My insurance excess is rather steep, so I'd rather find a cheap solution.

ANY advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I reckon you best bet would be trying some breakers, worth waiting to see if parts the right colour can be found saves a fortune :)

not sure if parts gateway would be able to find some

worth a google though mate

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I hit a fox in my Rover 75 a few years ago, and the only damage was that the indicator had popped out of its mounting.

About 3 years ago, I hit a small cat in my Ford Focus ST170 and it wrote the car off. It obliterated the front bumper and took the hoses off the car, and ended up cooking the engine.

The Rover 75 / MG ZT is one sturdy car :D

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
My question is: Anyone got any tips as to where to buy the bumper, how easy a DIY repair might be, cost of respray etc.
Rimmer Bros was listing new front bumpers a while ago at around £200 ex-VAT. Your local parts dealer might be about the same. You'll need the VIN as there are several types.

Don't know about re-spray, but should be easy to get an estimate.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I hit a fox in my Rover 75 a few years ago, and the only damage was that the indicator had popped out of its mounting.

About 3 years ago, I hit a small cat in my Ford Focus ST170 and it wrote the car off. It obliterated the front bumper and took the hoses off the car, and ended up cooking the engine.

The Rover 75 / MG ZT is one sturdy car :D
Blimey you should come with a government health warning, any wildlife in a mile radius should be notified you are in the area so they can dive for cover! lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The lights are fine, the bodywork isn't even marked, all it needs is a new bumper and some of the lower grille sections.

Point 1. you say lower grill sections, is it the premium bumper? If so you may have a problem these are extremely rare!

Point 2. I had my bumper sprayed for £100, ask if they will do it for cash, they do not have to declare it and will give you a great deal!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firstly, sorry for not replying sooner, I've been trying to log on for ages but kept getting an error message - is this something anyone else experiences or is it just my system? (No offence meant to those who work hard to run this site!)

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions, I've seen a few items on ebay, and might end up taking that route.

And no, I didn't pick up the deer; I'm sure it wold have fitted in the boot just fine, I just didn't fancy the inside of the car looking like it'd been used in a Tarantino film!

MikeMGR:- Point 1; I don't THINK the bumper is a "premium", as the car is only mid-spec (2003 Tourer, 1.8t, Club SE, Auto) and it doesn't look any different to most 75's I've seen.

Any ways of recognising a premium bumper or any tips with the removal and re-fitting process?

Thanks again, Jamie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dear Oh Deer!

I was driving to work down a country road in Sunny Cornwall at about 60, and he jumped clean over a hedge RIGHT in front of me, I'd hit him before I even got to brake.

After checking the deer wasn't suffering, I inspected the front of my '03 plate 75 and was amazed at the amount of damage inflicted...

In fact all it needed to get through it's first MOT two days later was an indicator bulb and a new front numberplate (plus some silver tape to cover the cracks in the bumper).

ANY advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hiya Jamie,
There is apparently a place in or near Camelford that "plastic welds" bumpers, maybe that would be cheaper.
Nick

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
302 Posts
What a bugger mate kin animals me and a mate were blasting down the Horse shoe pass a few years ago ( saturday morning hangover cure) both on gsxr 1100s and a bloody sheep was in the road on a bit of a brow, my mate was infront and swerved but just clipped it taking its bloo dy face off and he went sliding down the road at about 90mph luckily i was about 80 yds behind and had plenty of time to stop

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What a bugger mate kin animals me and a mate were blasting down the Horse shoe pass a few years ago ( saturday morning hangover cure) both on gsxr 1100s and a bloody sheep was in the road on a bit of a brow, my mate was infront and swerved but just clipped it taking its bloo dy face off and he went sliding down the road at about 90mph luckily i was about 80 yds behind and had plenty of time to stop

Thats absolutely disgusting. Going at that speed when you know that there will be animals around as there are signs saying so. And a hangover cure??!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dear Oh Deer!

ANY advice appreciated.

Thanks
Dont think there is a cheap solution, there may be a Deer solution
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.