MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H All, needing help on this one..........

Serviced the Diesel 75 this weekend and Oh Dear!. Never to run again !!!!

This may be purely coincidental but can anyone throw any light on my problem. I changed the fuel filter - filled the new one with clean diesel and started the car, ran for 5 mins and cut out. Removed fuel filter again - only half full of fuel so I filled to brim and refitted. Fired straight away and left to tick over for ten mins - no apparent problem. Jumped in to move the car and as i hit the throttle it died again. I have now spent all day checking as much as I can, fitted another new filter (in case I had a bad one) and even refitted the old filter - still same problem but now seems worse! will only fire and run for about 5 seconds. With ignition on the underbonnet pump runs for about twenty seconds then stops. a test lamp shows pump powers up when car starts but loses feed as it cuts out. Am i missing something? Any help would be much appreciated
Thanx in anticipation
Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just to add - I have now tried an in line electric pump from a can of fuel straight to the inlet side of the fuel filter - same faults so Im farly certain that it is not the common fuel pump fault more likely some sensor .......or is the factory imobiliser a fuel shut down type?

Any one any ideas

M

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You have an airlock i'd imagine - probably now in the rear pump.

You shouldnt have filled the filter with diesel and you shouldn't have started the car straight away.

You should have fitted the filter empty then just turned the ignition on until the under bonnet pump had stopped priming (60 seconds max). Then fired her.

Use some easy start in the EGR valve. This will rule out a fuel issue, but it sounds like its captivated air and its locked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for that, but why would it not run when connected to a seperate in line electric pump wired direct to battery. pumping from a can of fuel

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if the air lock were after pump an filter would it run at all, also the odd thing is that power to pump(front).shuts down as car cuts out

How would I get rid of the air lock between filter and injection pump

Cheers
M

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
if the air lock were after pump an filter would it run at all, also the odd thing is that power to pump(front).shuts down as car cuts out
The ECU may be shutting the engine down when it detects a fuel-pressure problem. It would cut off the pump relay. Note the low-pressure fuel sensor is on top of the filter and maybe wiring was disturbed during installation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Mark

How full is your tank? If it is filled below 1 quarter, fill up the tank, let the pump run for 1 minute to eliminate all air of the tank system as suggested from other forum readers.
If the car runs fine then and does not cut, then your intank pump has a problem.

Regards
Benny

H All, needing help on this one..........

Serviced the Diesel 75 this weekend and Oh Dear!. Never to run again !!!!

This may be purely coincidental but can anyone throw any light on my problem. I changed the fuel filter - filled the new one with clean diesel and started the car, ran for 5 mins and cut out. Removed fuel filter again - only half full of fuel so I filled to brim and refitted. Fired straight away and left to tick over for ten mins - no apparent problem. Jumped in to move the car and as i hit the throttle it died again. I have now spent all day checking as much as I can, fitted another new filter (in case I had a bad one) and even refitted the old filter - still same problem but now seems worse! will only fire and run for about 5 seconds. With ignition on the underbonnet pump runs for about twenty seconds then stops. a test lamp shows pump powers up when car starts but loses feed as it cuts out. Am i missing something? Any help would be much appreciated
Thanx in anticipation
Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanx to all for suggestions / tips etc. Turned out that it is the in tank pump thats at fault, need a new / used one pronto! am in south Yorks if anyone has any ideas - all help appreciated

M.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
662 Posts
Many thanx to all for suggestions / tips etc. Turned out that it is the in tank pump thats at fault, need a new / used one pronto! am in south Yorks if anyone has any ideas - all help appreciated

M.
Was that a garage diagnosis? It may be the standard conclusion when they see a low-pressure fuel fault. Why didn't your separate pump work?

You can check whether the in-tank pump has failed if you lift the rear seat, padding and access cover (RHS) - then you can hear if the pump turns after switching on the ignition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx for info, no not dealer diagnosed, I actually removed the tank unit/pump and powered it up - Dead as the proverbial ! I have today fitted a Peugeot 406 pump but ........... A definate improvement the car now runs for 30 seconds instead of 10 !

Something is telling the ECU to shut fuel off as the pump feed goes dead after 30 secs so Im still in trouble

Incidentaly the 406 pump conversion was very straight forward if a tad awkward - took about an hour in total - many thanx to 'MGZTGREATCAR'
for providing the link.

STILL NEED HELP THOUGH - ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS GRATEFULLY RECIEVED

M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts