MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you maybe aware of the coolant loss my dads car has been suffering....see my threads: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=184837

Ive been out in the back garden working on my bike and then I hear what I thought was my dads car start up and it sounded like it was mis fireing...I walk over and put my head over the gate and yeah I think it was mis fireing. The gate was locked so I quickly run in the house and out the front door, by this time my dad is down the end of the close pulling out into the road and there was lots of white steam coming out the exhaust.

Now I presume coolant/water leaking into the cylinders would cause the mis fireing and the steam out the exhaust. To me this makes me think either head gasket or inlet manifold gasket? Please tell me its not the HG!?!

When he gets back home (just gone to wicks) Im expecting the car will probably be running normally again?

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Typical head gasket failure symptoms, im afraid to say. If you can reach him on a mobile, I would suggest telling him not to drive it back and just leave it there. Driving it could cause the engine to severly overheat and damage the head and possibly the liners also.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I actually went outside and touched the garden shed.

He's back and its running fine - looked under the bonnet and theres plenty of coolant.

It really is hard to tell where the coolant is coming from. Its either from the inlet manifold and running around the joint of the head and block, or im not gunna say it but the other thing begining with a H.

Which ever it is then its both an internal leak (leaking into cylinders and steam out exhaust) and also and external leak as coolant is all around the manifold/head gasket area. It has been running down the front of the engine...but sometimes is wet around the back. Now the way I see it is, that if its a head gasket leak at the front it just cant run around the back because its higher up. But im sure it must be able to leak from around the back and run round to the front?

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Misfiring and steam out the exhaust again today on first startup of the day. Misfiring diddn't last long today.

Oh well. If its the head gasket my dad will get my uncle to put a new head gasket, inlet manifold gasket and cambelt kit on. £100 will buy them parts quite easily I think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
According to the Rover technical data, the leaking inlet gasket can allow coolant into cylinder no1 as well as down the back of the engine... ;)

Ian.

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
Unless there is mayo in the oil, I'd start by changing the manifold gasket. Quick, cheap and simple if you have a slim socket ;-)

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know people say "dont fix it unless its broke". But if it happens to be the inlet manifold gasket and we get that changed, we have then still got to get the cam belt changed and we could get it done then in a few thousand miles time the head gasket could go (it is a k series!) then its all gotta come off....and my dad would be annoyed and probably just get rid of the car.

If my uncle can change the head gasket, inlet manifold gasket and the cambelt at the same time then the engines good for probably another 50-60k miles.

My dad actually said the other day "even if it costs two or three hundred... I think its worth it"

Im sure my uncle will tell us if its the head gasket or inlet manifold gasket. What makes me think head gasket is that the coolant seems to be quite dark even though its fresh coolant in the tank.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
coolant can go quite dark if two colors are mixed

red and blue would give you dark purple

yelowy green and blue gives you dark green

then there are other antifreezes that have an indicator in them .and turn another colour when the gasket goes .

all the best.mark

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im 99% sure that both the anti freeze's that have been in there are both blue.

It looks black - unless sunlight is shining on it in which case it looks a dark green.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts