MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads & Ladies
New to this forum today, my name is Lee and come from Lincolnshire.
I actually drive a BMW for my sins, have a minter XR3i cabriolet, all electric etc. a real beaut, if not a bit chavvy. I love my bikes, too, going to the IoM in a couple of weeks for the yearly pilgrimage to the home of motorcycle sport. i do track days and all that jazz.
Now, on Friday, my neice who has worked for a few months abroad for a travel company, is coming back for a break and a jolly before jetting off somewhere hot.
She asked me to pop to her house to run her little MGF 1.6 up,and make sure it was ready for her to play in. All was well, the dust sheet revealed a beautiful met green motor, all polished and clean as she had left it. Handbrake on, of course. That freed offwithout too much bother. A power booster to the battery, a turn of the key and she fired up a treat. Checking the water and oil were in good supply, and in some sort of fettle, I reversed the car into the drive. I was taken with this little roadster and thought how good looking it was, how well it felt to drive. I thought how Iwould like to own one. That met green got to me.

Now the question:
It sounded fine when struck up. Left to stand for a while to warm through, check the systems etc., and after about five minutes of driving the noise levels were doing my crust in. Warmed up, the temp at below the mid point, the oil temp at just about 60 or 70 on the dial, no smoke or gummed up oil/water. It sounded extremely tappety, cammy, ticky, and that was with the roof up and windows closed.
A drive down the road would see the noises cease, and the car would bang along the road nicely, in fact almost sounded normal. The rear/mid engine is going to create noises in any car.

So, it is fine from cold. No noises. Just how a car should sound.
When after a few minutes warmed up a touch, the tappety sound begins.
At stand still very noisy, when in motion, noticable upto 30 mph.
After 30/40 mph the noise is minimal.
Purrs like a pussy when flying along at 70/80 mph.
Slow to a halt at traffic lights and the sound is like rifles cocking for a firing squad.
Thenoise is from the upper part of the engine, and sounds like a sticking tappet. An engine flush and new oil has not made any difference.
IT SHOULD NOT SOUND LIKE THIS.
If you have stood next to a cold Ducati, the box of spanners rattling about in a pick up truck going over bomb craters, is how i would describe it. IT IS NOT QUITE THAT LEVEL, but is a concern.
The car is a 2001 'Y' plate 1598cc, apart from that, I know nothing about these motors - apart from the usual bumpf of head gasket failings, it won't happen to them all, if you are aware and keep an eye on things. Then there are the 'sharp intake of breath' crew who seem to down-do anything they cannot afford to buy themselves, or because its not a BMW/Ford/GM, and slag off what was the British car industry. We have come a long way since Allegro/Princess/Maestro and dare I say Metro. One guy told me that the MGF is based partly on Metro design, LOL. Cannot be, surely.
Anyway, some clues as to the origins of the cacophony that I have endured, would be very helpful. To drown it out I only had a Shania Twain CD, that soon got binned. The rattling was easier to listen to.
Yours hopefully,
Lee, (hope it is not bad news for my niece, she has had some bad luck recently, and she is a grand kid.)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,186 Posts
Welcome

I have split tour post off into a new thread

It's hard to say but it possibly just needs an "Italian tune up", what grade of oil did you use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris
Thank you, for your welcome, i have seen your face on this forum and noted what you have had to say.
On the MGF - I put an STP engine flush through for about half an hour on tickover, no load on the engine. Then used Retella detergent oil which is used to clear blockages, like an engine flush, again stood at tick over for some time, gave her a couple of miles running at no more than 3000rpm., and replaced with semi synthetic Putoline 10w/40. Oil to just below the top mark on the dip stick, no cross contamination, odd smells, smoke, all in order, it would seem. But the noisiness continues.
Took her for a steady 70mph ride and over the Humber Bridge, went like a dream. Then stood at traffic lights and the noise is still there.
I love the car, and I know I am going to try one myself, maybe a little newer.
Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
TBHonest, the K series engine is prone to hydraulic tappet noise, usually sins of the past in not changing the oil regularly. You've done the right thing giving it a good flush out and put the rightgrade of oil in. The tapped bleed holes are quite small and will take some time to flush through. Some people have had sucess running with diesel oil for a few thousand miles due to the higher detergent additive level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris & Balrog
So, you would recommend me bunging in some diesel engine oil, the Retella is a short term oil used for highly carboned-up engines, and is more detergent than oil. I would be better off with an ordinary every day use oil available from any motor factors, I suppose.
I will give this a go. I love tinkering and experimenting, I am on my way to Halfords now, in the MGF of course. Must get it warmed through nicely before the fresh flush and new diesel oil.
Thanks for your help, I will let you know how we get on. In fact, the style and feel of the little old MGF has rather taken me and I think I have been bitten. The old MG badge, the British Racing Green, the looks (of the car & the ones I got from other road users) and the way my old Dad reacted when I said I was driving one of the swish new MG's. He had them when after the war and has always gone on how wonderful they were. I'll take him for a tootle, don't want to scare him.
I took him on the back of a Kawasaki ZX7R, just a couple of miles to pick my car up from the pub I had left the thing at. At 140mph on Ermine Street and around a couple of quick bends, he got off at the boozer, he said he would rather do another 60 trips over Nazi Germany in his draughty old Lancaster, than get on the back of that bl**dy bike again.
I think he'll melt to the MGF,though.
Cheers chaps,
Lee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris
Only got it out on Friday, probably 100 miles after the oil change and flush. Put a drop of diesel in the oil today and gave her a steady run around for 20 miles.
Then the key fob would not work, new battery fitted, could not get the car to turn over. Having a nightmare, and its not even my car.
Stuck in my drive a none goer.
Lee LOL

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Have you resynchronised the keyfob? If not

1 Unlock the car using the key.

2 Operate the fob lock button at least four times until the doors lock.

What did you mean when you said you put diesel in the oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
I meant to say a change to a diesel oil for a short term, for the detergent qualities, and the degunking of the tappet set up. A mate said try a drop of paraffin, but that is just like an engine flush, so I just went for the diesel type oil.
Got the old girl to go with the resetting of the fob, cheers. Still sounds like an old thrashed Ducati with gearbox/toolbox rattle, though goes lovely.
My neice must have been driving it like this, I cannot believe her boyfriend never commented on its sound.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Ok gotcha! Don't make it short term though, as Balrog mentioned earlier run it for a few thousand miles. If that doesn't cure it then for a quiet life the tappets will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BPR160 & the chaps
Sorry for not getting back quickly, been having a blast in the MGF.
Went to a garage to ask what they thought.
One mech., who is a whizz with Ford XR3i's and RS's, and is known to me because of my own love for my 'F' XR3i cabby, which is a minter, said that sounds bu66ered. Sounds like something at the bottom end resounding up through the cylinders, into the airbox.
His gaffer, who is up on newer motors had a go and thought it can't be anything too serious. Advised putting in an oil of 5/40w grade,Synergy by Comma, a fully synthetic oil. He also thought the Diesel oil was a good idea for a couple of thoasand miles, too.
So, we will try the diesel oil, for 3k, then go with the thinner oil.
They are going to inspect it and stick it on one of the diagnostic contraptions they have, free, 'cos I am a mate.
Plus they both fancy my neice. Built for comfort, and has a turn of speed, allegedly!!! Bit of a looker, too. No wonder she has the job she has.
She is home and said that it sounded like this for a while. She has neglected the oil changing, as suspected, after questioning.
Though she never thrashes it. It is the look of the MGF she wanted. Shame really, it is a lovely little job to drive.
She's home for a week, then off again, so I am lending her my BMW 318si and I am left with the MGF to sort out. Quite pleased really.
I'll let you know how we get on.
Cheers again,
Lee in Lincs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts