MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some new number plates made up and want to know what's legal...

Firstly, I'm getting them from an online place that doesn't seem to require V5 or anything... you design your number plate online and they ship it out to you... I thought these weren't allowed to run anymore? (This doesn't actually bother me so long as I'm not gonna get pulled for the plates)

Going for standard legal lettering and spacing for obvious reasons.

Is a Rover badge at the side legal? (Where the EU or GB stars would normally be)

Am I allowed to put my name at the bottom where the garage name would normally go?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
If the place supplying the plates supplies them "For Off Road Use Only" then they can do it or if they are based outside of the UK. (I think NI is also exempt).

Standard spacing and lettering is fine.

The rover badge technically isn't but you aren't going to get pulled because of it

The same thing goes for having small text on the bottom of the plate. Technically it isn't allowed (it should be the name and the postcode of the place the plate was made) but again you aren't going to get pulled by plod for it. So long as the plate is in standard spacing and font (and thus readable by plods cameras) then he'll not bother you.

·
Registered
mgf
367 Posts
There is one vehicle that doesn't need any plates....belongs to someone called liz who lives at buck house apparently...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used an online company to get my plates done. Had three lions with St. George's flag on the side, and my name underneath with an MG badge either side, and I've been ok so far. You should be ok. As has been said, it's the letters that get you pulled, so if you go for standard letters and spacing, all should be well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
andrewh said:
There is one vehicle that doesn't need any plates....belongs to someone called liz who lives at buck house apparently...
Think its just the queen, George Bush and Tony B that dont require plates.
I read about it somewhere.....

·
Registered
rover_75
15 Posts
Well we're part of the UK and our Queen apointed Governor doesn't have plates on his Daimler Limo or road tax for that matter :irked:

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I am due to order a new set from NI. I will opt for standard spacings / fonts with MG logo on the side and lettering along the bottom. I know technically it isnt allowed but I have got away with it on previous vehicles as the spacing didnt encourage the plod to look closer. :shh:

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
E_T_V said:
Just the queen in the UK. Everyone else must have plates including Tony and his Chronies.
Or anyone who the queen permits, the italian president was visiting Oxford about a year ago and he didn't have any numberplates and there were about 50 police following on behind and they didn't stop him for it. Mind you they were probably there for his benefit... ;)

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Are you sure it didn't have any plates? It may have had diplomatic plates which are odd (only a couple of numbers I think and only have to be displayed on one end of the vehicle) and black/silver I think.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
E_T_V said:
Are you sure it didn't have any plates? It may have had diplomatic plates which are odd (only a couple of numbers I think and only have to be displayed on one end of the vehicle) and black/silver I think.
Think letters are 'CD' silver on black oval plate..Diplomatic Immunity. and they dont pay for any parking or speeding fines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts