MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bit of digging on the dvla website and it appears that all these fancy number plates are in fact illegal! You are only allowed to have either a Euro symbol with GB on or your national flag. Other symbols (ie. MG Logos) are illegal.

Also you are not allowed any type of design as the background. And of course they all HAVE to be the same font. No font variation is allowed.

I have noticed MANY illegal plates across all the MG forums.

Just thought I would warn everyone before they get stopped...

Looks like I won't get getting a nice MG one afterall :(

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/numberplateinfo.aspx

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking about this again, this could be a big issue if you got in a crash. It could invalidate your insurance. We all know how insurance companies are nowadays about trying to get out of paying out.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It's true that everything other than EU symbol or the national flag is illegal, but the likelihood of you being pulled for this is very small. The plod only really care that the font is legible, and the right size. They also tend to pick up on plates where the spacing has been altered.

I'm not sure about the insurance. You can fail the mot with a different font, but I have never known a car to fail as it had an 'illegal' symbol on the side of the plate.

Rich.

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
The only thing that frusatrates me with this is the police not having the same laws for everyone in my area.

There a BMW and a merc running around with un-readable fonts unless you are really close up with the spacing altered also. They've been driving like this for months.

First saxos or ZRs to haev a plate slightly changed and the plod hammer them. Dont mind them doing that, its against the law. But treat everyone the same.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I am surprised how many people drive around with italics font plates. Also the amount of BMW X5s with illegal tints!!! Someone on here said that the ZR Trophy is within 1% of legal for the front tints. These X5s are uber ilegal!

I HATE X5s so much! I swear they are wider than buses but the drivers have much less skill or consideration!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah, I am surprised how many people drive around with italics font plates. Also the amount of BMW X5s with illegal tints!!! Someone on here said that the ZR Trophy is within 1% of legal for the front tints. These X5s are uber ilegal!

I HATE X5s so much! I swear they are wider than buses but the drivers have much less skill or consideration!
You're dead right there. They tend to be driven by inconsiderate gits ,many of whom are of criminal intent.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The only thing that frusatrates me with this is the police not having the same laws for everyone in my area.

There a BMW and a merc running around with un-readable fonts unless you are really close up with the spacing altered also. They've been driving like this for months.

First saxos or ZRs to haev a plate slightly changed and the plod hammer them. Dont mind them doing that, its against the law. But treat everyone the same.
Maybe they just pay the fines and carry on?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I have also notice a lot of registration plates starting 'X5' are now adorning 3 series and even hideous 1 series beemers.

Obviously the chavs can no longer afford to run their huge bling machines and have had to 'downsize' :lol:

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Maybe they just pay the fines and carry on?
i think you can actually get done if you continue to use illegal plates, i know someone who paid his first fine, then continued anyway was pulled over again and ended up in court

was a few years ago now so cant remember the ins and outs of it all

but you know, if you have been pulled over, thats a waste of the polices time, if people didnt break minor laws like this the police would have more time to concentrate on the 'worse' crimes that are happening

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think it's just down to the officer at the time, my mate got pulled over but was just told to change them. He never did and hasn't been stopped since :dunno:

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
I had tinted windows in my last car. Dark on the back, lightish tints on the front.

Passed traffic police for ages, had the car looked over by traffic police twice and the tints were never in question. Stopped by the local plod to be told tha the fronts were illegal. All depends what mood they are in and its that attitude that bugs the hell out of me with the police. They'll do you when they feeli like it or pick up on slight things because there missus kicked them out the house

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Lol depends on how you treat them too,

my work mate was pulled over & he loses his rag as always, so they ripped his tints out for him ( the cheapo ones ) they tested his exhaust TOOO LOUD & they've slapped him with a fine & possibly 3 points but I think they may have let him off the points because he only just bought the car & says they were already on there at the garage....

To be honest though I would have done the same thing big chavvy exhaust tints & no doubt a whole other heap of mods by the sound of it, they're the ones I would love OFF------> the road.

( apparently he burnt his ECU out or something because of all his chavvy gadgets draining the battery )

·
Registered
19,006 Posts
Lol depends on how you treat them too,
)
never anything other than polite. Some are just complete :cus: though and it really is a challenge just keeping your cool and being polite as they treat oyu like a little boy who just broke out his cage at the playschool.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
never anything other than polite. Some are just complete :cus: though and it really is a challenge just keeping your cool and being polite as they treat oyu like a little boy who just broke out his cage at the playschool.

Yeah I suppose, I ve not had a bad encounter really apart from when they decide to be nasty one minute & nice the next as soon as they find out they like you because you do a particular thing or something....I think they should treat everyone the same ( apart from ppl that lose their cool )

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i must admit they do seem a bit random at times. ive been pulled over loads on my bike, and as soon as they see your a chick they seem to just want a chat!

ive also got away with 3 points before for speeding, by just having a chat about motorbikes and stuff

when i used to have the tf i used to get pulled over constantly, as they thought id nicked the car!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A friend was pulled for this about a year ago, he was given 7 days to correct it and show the car at his local bobby, they did check his ride hieght as it as lowered also tyres, tax etc.
Often an excuse to check motor for other issues. As said in a previous post just be polite, if you really need to spend money on a private plate that's fair but why bother moving number, letters spacing etc? Makes you look a chav,
(or common, as chav to me still means child.)

I have seen alot of cars with fog lights on when not foggy, illegal.
I have seen lots of cars with LEDs on the bonnet and under car lights, illegal.
But the worst and most annoying is local kids with cheap bangers that have massive sound systems, so loud that you hear them about mile away, why?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...the worst by far is stupid people who drive around with their side/parking lights on! I can't believe there are still people in the world who think you can drive with these on! I mean the clue is right there in the name!!!! They think,,, "oh it's just a bit dark, I won't put my headlights on till it gets pitch black"

Numpties! Tut tut, I don't know!

Oh and don't get me started on those who stop at the side of the road and put their hazards on to answer that bloody mobile phone!! I think that is worse that driving and talking! It happened to me 3 times last week. The woman in front just pulled over and stopped dead and put her indicators on! No indicator because she was answering the phone! And even when she pulled over half of the car was in the road and I had to wait for oncoming traffic to pass. (men do it too btw...)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you want to style your plates within the law, why not get a plate with chromed 3D letters? They look the nads. I decided to not have the side euro logo and get a black border around. I'll place my picture up later.

I don't see the point in the illegal fonts. Why bother? Doesn't make your car look like a F1 car does it? :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts