MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a week or two now, there's been a very small patch of oily liquid deposited under the engine of my V-Reg 620ti if I parked it up for a few hours. Also, during that time, 2nd gear can be a tad stiff to select when moving off from cold. Too busy with other stuff to lift the bonnet .. will do it later. Too late. Arriving home two evenings ago, it became impossible to select any gear at all.

Suspecting the clutch slave cylinder, I lifted the bonnet and checked the clutch fluid reservoir ... empty! Looking under the car, there was lots of oily black liquid all below the clutch slave cylinder on the gearbox and that under body plastic shield cover.

My son's 620ti had this same thing happen a few months ago. Meantime, I had dismantled and cleaned up his old slave cylinder ( 1200 grade wet and dry in the cylinder bore ) and reassembled with new seals ( MG-R/XPart Kit No. CDU2330EVA ) on a come in handy one day basis ... Glad I did. Two hours later, his refurbed slave was on the car***, bled and a nice perfect clutch and silent gear selection ... Even reverse....

Moral .... follow your own advice John Boy ... check it now, not tomorrow ... it can be too late ...:)

*** In the thick history file of one of my 620ti, there's an Invoice to supply and fit a clutch slave cylinder ... the bill well over 250 notes. The slave itself being charged at around 135 quid. Are they really that dear new?

The seal kit cost a few quid ... my money and time well spent. I've already repaired and fitted new seals to the original worn slave ... did not take long .... it too will come in handy one day ... a stitch in time ... saves nine..:)

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Think you self lucky that the 600 has the proper metal slave cylinder, not one of those awfull plastic unbleadable jobbies! I use rubbing compound to do cylinder bores, labourious but makes leaves a fantastic finnish. I find 1200 grid a little too abrasive for my liking.
Jim

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
My Metro used to drink brake fluid and pour it out into the drivers footwell. A change of master cylinder did'nt fix the problem....

Replacing the two (of three!) engine mounts that had broken and were allowing the engine to press on the top of the reservoiur and force it away from the body of the cylinder put things right....

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think you self lucky that the 600 has the proper metal slave cylinder, not one of those awfull plastic unbleadable jobbies! I use rubbing compound to do cylinder bores, labourious but makes leaves a fantastic finnish. I find 1200 grid a little too abrasive for my liking.
Jim
Forgot to mention ... my 1200 grade was well used and thus probably near or finer grade than 2000.

There's someone here or maybe over on Rovertech.net who produces a replacement kit converting the plastic sealed circuit jobbies to metal items as fitted to these larger Rover 600/800s . Only a shade over 100 quid IIRC and if ever I have trouble with a plastic hydraulic system, I'll have one of those kits if still available. I believe the chap makes them up as required. The picture I saw of one indicated a well thought out 'professional' standard kit using quality materials.

Well done John, a good bit of improvisation there.
Yeah ... I love it when I save a few quid.... in this case probably at least 200 had the job been done professionally using new parts. Have to watch costs when you run a small fleet ..;)

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Forgot to mention ... my 1200 grade was well used and thus probably near or finer grade than 2000.
I was going to mention 2k grit, but it very hard to find!!!
There's someone here or maybe over on Rovertech.net who produces a replacement kit converting the plastic sealed circuit jobbies to metal items as fitted to these larger Rover 600/800s . Only a shade over 100 quid IIRC and if ever I have trouble with a plastic hydraulic system, I'll have one of those kits if still available. I believe the chap makes them up as required. The picture I saw of one indicated a well thought out 'professional' standard kit using quality materials.
Nigel (Sheddist) is the guys name. He showed me the parts. I think they come off a honda civic and something else, or what you said, I carn't remember now!!:O I'll be giving him a shout at the first sign of trouble with mine;)
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts