MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently swapped engines and just cannot get the thing to run - prior to the swap both the "old" and "new" engines ran.

Turn the key ("ignition on") and you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of
seconds, turn the key to start and it starts instantly and revs, sounding
good, for maybe a second then cuts out completely.

Subsequent starts, it initially splutters a bit then just turns over with no
life. Turn it completely off and try again and you don't hear the fuel pump.
Leave it long enough for something to reset (few minutes - although this
could just be long enough for the fuel pressure to decay) and it will start
again (i.e. pump runs, starts and runs for a second, etc).

It still like a fuel starvation problem for the most part.

I tried jumpering the fuel pump to run continuously but it did not help.
I've also swapped the throttle body, inlet manifold/injector set-up, ECU,
loom and Hall effect sensor.

Next thing to try is a separate fuel can and pump.

Any suggestions?

Or does anybody know a reputable mobile mechanic in the Woking area? I need to get the car running for a rally in a couple of weeks and I'm rapidly running out of time :(

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
what car was the donor engine from and year?? flywheels changed at some point so if flywheels is different thr ecu would need swapping over to the one from the donor car and the immoliser pairing up with the ECU

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
you got something wrong in your electric wiring that make the ecu not function properly.
check the wirings that go to the little black boxes and started.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
cochapman said:
One of my colleagues has suggested it could be lambda sensor problem. Any thoughts?
did you change the flywheels over? what engine sizes, year model are you putting in?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
griffmonster said:
oh no not the flywheels!! later ones have a different ruluctor ring oppps out comes the gearbox.
thats what it sounds like to me, kinda hoping he'll say he changed the gearbox too so he can just swap the ecu and get it matched to his immobiliser

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We just did a complete swap of engine and GB.

The original engine/ECU setup was a 1992 K SLi, the donor engine came from a 1995 N SEi (wedge). I've been told, from a pretty reliable source, that the flywheel change wasn't until much later in the production - well in to the bubble run. Is this true?

Also, to complicate matters, the original car/ECU did NOT have a plipper/remote CL sysem - the donor engine/ECU did. Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
cochapman said:
We just did a complete swap of engine and GB.

The original engine/ECU setup was a 1992 K SLi, the donor engine came from a 1995 N SEi (wedge). I've been told, form a pretty reliable source, that the flywheel change wasn't until much later in the production - well in to the bubble run. Is this true?

Also, to complicate matters, the original car/ECU did NOT have a plipper/remote CL sysem - the donor engine/ECU did. Does that make a difference?
sounds like a right mish mash here! you MUST use the flywheel that matches the ECU! second the ECU MUST have a fob matched up to it. and third the ECU MUST match the wiring loom.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh dear :( Well in that case, we're up excreta creek without a paddle :-o

Sounds like we may have to swap flywheels :(

Is it easy to see the differences between the different designs of FW? I would hate to get the egine out, swap FWs only to have the problem be something else and the FW actually were identical.

Is there any web site that details when and how the FWs were changed/different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
i cant think of anything that would give those smptoms other than that atm, but if you have the other engine try swapping the crank sensor over

was the 1992 car spi or mpi???

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both cars were MPi. As I said, is there any quick way to check which FW it has fitted? I found this post , that has got a pic of the FW, so I guess I could remove the lower cover and take a look, but is there an eaiser way?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a way to tell from the ECU which version they are?

I assume an ECU that comes from a car that originally had a remote alarm WON'T work in a car that doesn't?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, we've finally got around to checking out the fly wheels and from the angle we can see the in-car one IT looks the same as the engine we took out.

For info, they're both different to this one - they havre got much more retangular teeth, with I think only one gap. Does this sound right?

So, we're back to square one...a rally in six days...no running engine...and both of us with work commitments most of this week. A quick way to through the entry fee down the drain :(

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Put a tippex mark on the flywheel and complete one refvolution, count the cut outs to make a comparisson with the old FW. IMO it would be quicker to remove the gearbox / clutch and flywheel and place side by side rather than sit thinking what is the issue.
I think you just need to refit the old FW and away you go.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, hopefully we've got about 30 minutes tomorrow morning before we both have to leave for work (sad isn't it? both of us having to work on Suandays - two different companies :( )...so we'll have to work fast!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts